18 - Bleeding Through

"Stop right there. You know this arrow never misses its mark," Robin Hood said, pointing a crossbow at us. "If we could stand down, we would. Heed us. Give us the heart," He said. "No," Robin said. "And who is this?" He asked, looking at a toddler who dropped the sticks he was carrying. "Roland! Go back!" Robin yelled.

"Come here, little boy," He coaxed. "Don't! Please," Robin begged. "We don't want to. We really don't. Come closer, little boy," He said, using his magic to bring Roland closer. "Daddy!" Roland called. "And stop," He said, sinking his feet into the ground.

"Daddy, help!" Roland called. "I didn't want to do this, either, but..." Robin said, firing the arrow at me. He stopped the arrow with his magic. "It never misses its target...and I've just changed the target. If I drop my finger..." He said. "No!" Robin called, and all the others froze. "We don't want to...but we will," He said.

"Daddy!" Roland yelled. "Wait. Wait," Robin said, putting down the crossbow and grabbing a satchel. Robin pulled Regina's heart out, and he nodded. "Thank you. And we are sorry...truly," He said, taking the satchel and letting the arrow fly at the boy, stopping it before it hit his face. The arrow fell to the ground with a clatter, and we disappeared.

"What do you want me to do with this?" He asked, looking at the suit jacket. "What do you think? Wear it. I've got Regina's heart, Charming's courage, and right in here, ready to be plucked, your lovely brains. We've got everything we need. It's a good time to celebrate, don't you think?" Zelena asked. "You don't have everything," He reminded her. "The baby will come. It doesn't matter which. Now, let's get you dressed," She said. "I'm not your doll," He sneered.

"Aren't you? I'm not using the dagger, but I could. A certain baby could be here at any minute, so I'm going to give you a choice on how you want to live out the rest of this time. One choice is screaming agony, another is your daughter's suffering, the other is much more pleasant. Choose well...doll," She sneered, then left. I turned around and let him put the jacket on, then helped him with his tie, and adjusted his suit. Then he left the cellar, leaving me alone. After an unknown amount of time, he returned, seeming annoyed. "I've failed," He said, sitting down on his stool.

Through the bars, I grabbed his hand and nodded as reassurance.