3

It was late, heading towards eleven when Karen walked into Maddie's room, more to check on her than to criticize her for being up past her bedtime

It was late, heading towards eleven when Karen walked into Maddie's room, more to check on her than to criticize her for being up past her bedtime. "Oh, sorry, I just had some more homework left." Maddie said sipping on her orange soda before sitting it on the night stand. "That's alright, I don't mind so much if it's for school and as long as you still follow rules which include your grades, which you have." Mrs. Dempsey says commending Maddie for her hard work making her smile while she writes a few terms. "So, why were you home so late?" Karen questions gently, she looks to her daughter. She didn't want to pressure her but she did intend on finding out why her daughter was home so late.

"Oh, right." Maddie says closing her binder deciding she was done. "Well, Jess had a hard time during practice so I told her we could hang out after I was done, on our way out we met up with Sherri who could obviously use a friend so we all went to Monets, which I texted Zach about so you would know and wouldn't be worried." Maddie says before carrying on. "And then the reason we stayed there so long was because Courtney was there and since she just testified we figured she could use some company, and then Jess wanted to hang out a little longer because she has to testify tomorrow and we decided that'd be fine." Maddie says and Karen nods listening to her daughter.

"Well, that's very sweet of you. I'm glad even if they aren't your friends, or haven't been that you're there for them and hopefully they can be there for you and you can become friends. I know you gave up after Justin but the truth is in this life you need friends." Maddie sighed looking down while nodding, her mother was right. Both about needing friends and about her giving up after Justin.

Waking up in the morning was easy, Maddie had slept well and the sun shining through her windows gave her a sense of happiness while she got dressed. Once she made it to the school, though it was a different story, it always was. That school just had this perfected skill of making everyone in it feel as if they're drowning one way or another. But, Maddie was getting better, a lot of people were. It was just this trial that was starting to slow to process down just when it started to get easier and faster.

Getting a few books out of her locker she gasps seeing Ryan standing next to her. "You scared me." Maddie chuckled smoothing her hair back and he chuckles. "I just wanted to make sure that both of us know that Tony needs his secrets kept safe. Even in court." Ryan says looking at her, he wasn't threatening her and honestly he figured she would have went after him by now. "Trust me Ryan I know. Especially in court. That man has helped me through more than I can remember, I would never hurt him like that." She says and Ryan nods as he links his arm with her when she goes to walk away. "Also," He says turning them around against Maddie's will. "I figured we could greet Courtney and make sure she is comfortable at least for a few minutes." Maddie nods looking at him, Ryan could be a lot of things. And a caring human was one them.

After standing at Courtney's locker for a few moments she walks to them, her face shows she's uncomfortable but she refuses to say it. Ryan chuckles and smiles while she opens her locker without a word. "Welcome to the team." Ryan says playfully moving his shoulders with a smile making her roll her eyes. "Don't start with me Ryan." She says before scrunching her eyes looking to Maddie. "I'm not on the team." Maddie laughs but smiles to the short haired girl. "But a number one supporter nonetheless." Ryan says with a large smile. "I am glad you made it out." Ryan says seriously making Courtney nod.