Chapter 17: Tiffany

Start from the beginning

By this time you could have heard a pin drop with how intently the room was listening to their head teacher. I got the idea that bad news was coming, though, and it was clear West thought the same as he stared intently at Mr Shoal.

 We were proven right when he spoke again. "There can be no denying the potential threat within the school, as well as the danger the girls could potentially be in. It is with regret that I officially have to put Weatherstone on lockdown until they are found."

 Instant uproar.

 Shoal's speech was met with a cacophony of protests, angry yells and screaming. I may not have known what lockdown meant in this school, but this was enough to show that it wasn't good. Right now I really wanted to be standing next to Amy to have her explain things.

 Mr Shoal waited for the noise to die down before continuing. I noted that most of the teachers didn't look happy at the news either, though the doctor seemed strangely gleeful.

 "A team of Mythos members will be sent to retrieve the missing girls." He produced a list from the pile of papers in front of him. "If I read your name then you are to remain here after I dismiss this assembly: Lily Ashton, Diana Hartley, Uri Dmitriev, West Reynolds and Amy Warden. That is all."

 As soon as his name was mentioned, West froze, narrowing his eyes at our head teacher. My mouth dropped open, because I didn't know what to think.

 I was being left here, alone.

 West stopped me from following the crowd when the room began to empty, Toni throwing a smirk at me as she did so. "Wait here," he demanded.

 I didn't appreciate being given orders, but I nodded as West headed over to the group of teachers, Lily right behind him. Amy, Uri and Diana joined them, equally wary. I awkwardly remained by the seats, jumping when Mr Shoal turned to me. "What are you still doing here, Miss Goldman?"

 "I, um..."

 "I told her to stay." West got straight to the point, folding his arms as he glared at the head. "Not to undermine your authority, but under Drydan's orders I'm to protect his daughter. Exactly how do you expect me to do that if I'm not here?"

 The doctor answered before the headmaster could. "We have adequate protection here, Mr Reynolds."

 Diana snorted. It was a rare display of emotion from her, but then again it seemed like nobody was behaving normally today. When one of the teachers glanced at her she shook her head, twisting her lips in a wry grin, though it was clear she didn't find anything about this situation even remotely funny. "If you have such amazing protection, then why are two of my best friends missing and another one of them in hospital?"

 Mrs Charles, my obnoxious light elemental teacher, sighed. "We're investigating -"

 "With all due respect, sir," Amy couldn't help but smirk at the angry look that crossed Mrs Charles' face when she interrupted her. I tried (and failed) to hold back a grin myself. "Why are we going to this much trouble to find the Green triplets? This isn't normal lockdown procedure."

 Something very strange happened then. A disturbed look crossed several of the teachers' faces, and a couple of them rubbed their temples as though experiencing headaches. At that, Amy and Uri shared a look that made it clear they'd just worked something out, and what they had discovered was clearly bad news.

 West instinctively moved closer to me, clearly anticipating something bad. At the sight the doctor's eyes glinted. "Is it really only Tiffany's safety you're concerned about?"

 For once West looked confused for a moment. Clearly deciding to see what the doctor was trying to get at, he shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about."