Chapter 16: Amy

I threw open the infirmary door, the others close behind me. Vera shot us a look, but we ignored it as we rushed over to Tom. It wasn't exactly hard to find him - thanks to Vera's healing powers, barely any of the beds were even in use.

He lay unconscious, the monitors beside him beeping steadily. In the visitors seat Helena sat grasping his hand tightly, her eyes tense with worry. From the mess of her hair, it was clear that she had run her hands through it several times. Diana leaned back against the wall beside her, relief in her eyes as she spotted me.

Helena cracked a smile in greeting, but it was not a happy one. It was the smile of someone who knew there was little chance the doctor could help, but had hope anyway. I hated seeing that look on her face.

"What happened?" Tom had no signs of injuries - no doubt the work of Vera. It made me wonder why on earth he was still here - if he was cured then someone would have had him transported to his bedroom. "Why isn't he awake?"

"We don't know." Helena was on the verge of tears. "We were supposed to meet at this spot by the woods, but when I got there he was like this and wouldn't wake up." She swiped at her face. "I called Diana to carry him over, but he's been like this ever since and Vera hasn't been able to do anything."

I tried not to raise my eyebrows at where it was that the two had been meeting, but I couldn't help it. Tiffany had no such filter. "Why were you two meeting by the woods?"

I mentally face- palmed. We were all curious, but now was not the time to ask such a question. Helena's eyes narrowed, and she promptly ignored my best friend, turning back towards me. "Can you help him?"

I took the seat on the other side of Tom. "How long has he been like this?" I didn't want to get her hopes up, but if I could help I would.

"An hour." I watched as Helena ran a hand through her hair yet again, messing it up even more. I wanted to comfort her, but there wasn’t really much I could do. An hour was hardly cause enough for how panicked she was.

"Are you sure he -"

"He's not just sleeping, okay? Vera has tried waking him up already!” Helena was furious, only calming down when Diana came over. Vera watched us from her desk by the entrance door, but made no move to interrupt us. She knew exactly why I had been called over, and it was my choice whether or not I tried to help.

It was Tiffany who broke the silence. "I don't get it. What use is Amy to a guy in a coma?"

Uri did not sound happy when he responded, sitting on the edge of the bed and scowling at me. "A person in a coma whose body is completely healthy usually doesn't wake up because they're mentally trapped. Amy is capable of pulling a person out of there." He conveniently left out the reason why he was so mad about it, but Tiffany was having none of it.

"So why is that a problem?" It was clear from her tone that she would have helped without a second thought.

I wished it was that easy.

Diana finally answered. "The dreamscape of a comatose person is extremely dangerous for a dream-weaver to enter. Even worse is that the longer the person is in a coma, the more dangerous it becomes." She met my eyes for a moment and I glanced away, staring at the blank white wall across from me as if it had suddenly become interesting. It was clear Uri didn't approve, and I didn't want him trying to talk me out of it.

"How dangerous are we talking?" Tiffany took a seat by West. It was surprising to me how comfortable they were beginning to get with one another, but then again he was her guardian.

Uri spoke through gritted teeth. "Like if she gets seriously hurt in there she might not wake up." He shook his head, clearly not happy that I was considering this. "Why don't you wait a few hours? If he doesn't wake up, then you go in."