Flickering Yellow and Green

Start from the beginning

"Thanks, Mr. Lancer, but I'm-"

"Oh, but I insist," and at that, Danny knew he couldn't say or do anything to change his mind. He reluctantly packed his supplies and walked over to the desk in front of the class, taking a seat.

But Mr. Lancer wasn't finished with him yet, "Can you read it now?"

Although the hybrid could now see the positive difference between his back seat and here, he still had trouble making out the words in the blackboard, rubbing his eyes gently again in case there had been something stuck or he was still sleepy. But alas, the sentence up front looked like nothing more than scribbles by a preschooler.

Mr. Lancer sighed but didn't bother asking the boy to read again for the remainder of the class, and so he chose someone else. For the rest of the period, it consisted of the students giving him weird looks and him focusing on nothing else but his sudden poor eyesight.

'Shit, shit, shit! Why can't I see?!' Danny was panicking mentally, looking back and forth at the blackboard, hoping that it was all a dream. He waited, wondering if it was only temporary but so far, there seemed to be no improvement.

He was sure that there wasn't a problem with his eyes yesterday because he remembered answering one of the chemical formulas on the board with ease. It had to be something recent, and he knew he had a lot of thinking to do after class.

"Mr. Fenton, I'd like to have a word with you," the English teacher said after the bell had rung, causing the teen to freeze and hesitantly turn back around.

"We'll wait for you outside," Sam said as Danny nodded, too nervous to care. Mr. Lancer would surely demand an explanation from him, and he knew he wouldn't be able to answer him honestly because he himself didn't know what was going on! Is it even possible to lose your eyesight completely overnight?

When everybody had finally left the classroom, Danny was quick to speak.

"Mr. Lancer, I didn't mean to-"

"I understand Danny, you do not need to tell me," the teacher interrupted calmly as the boy looked at him, confused.

"Your eyesight. It looks to me that you can't see clearly anymore, the words are blurry, right?" he asked as Danny nodded. "I strongly recommend you see an eye doctor as soon as possible to fix that issue. You are dismissed."

The teen stood there stunned, staring at his English teacher in disbelief. No detention, no comments, not even a remark! This was the first time Mr. Lancer had asked to see him and not say anything negative, well, not anything negative he could fix. But as he processed the information he was given, he was beginning to believe that his teacher was right.

He nodded and walked away, about to head out of the door when Mr. Lancer spoke up again.

"Oh, and Mr. Fenton?" he said. "Make sure you also get some sleep, I don't want to see you taking a nap in my class again."

Danny nodded again and without further comment, left the room, embarrassed that his teacher had caught him sleeping. He was sure he had tricked him into thinking he was awake the whole time!

"But I guess that isn't something new," he muttered dryly, watching his two friends hurry after him after he had left the classroom. The trio exited the school, as it was the end of the day, and Danny began recounting to his friends what had happened knowing they would ask about it.

"Wait, so does that mean that you'll be wearing glasses too?" Tucker grinned at the prospect of having his best friend also wear glasses.

"I don't know... I have no idea how my eyes just suddenly... changed. Like, they weren't like this before, hell they were perfect yesterday! And just today, I couldn't see a single word! You guys also look a bit blurry to me, even up close! I just don't get it-" Danny ranted but suddenly froze, recalling something important. His two friends also stopped walking, looking at their friend expectantly.