lies?

Stella

I had delivered the letter in Dad's mailbox and had driven to the supermarket. Taylor and Adam were both spring babies, and they both loved a wholesome chocolate cake. And I knew just the recipe, I just didn't store chocolate at home. They would both eat it, faster than I could control.

I entered the supermarket and grabbed a basket. The few ingredients I needed didn't require a shopping card.

The hallway with chocolate seemed endless.

It had been a long day, and the kids were too energetic, and they had a blast. And I was tired. It was Friday, so that was something, but I still didn't want to be this tired.

Before the accident I wouldn't mind, just shut them out and yell at them if they didn't quiet down. That usually did the trick. I was just worn out now.

I picked the chocolate I needed, found some brown sugar, because we were out of it, flour and grapes. I felt like grapes. I wish I had more to shop for, but I wasn't sure what that should be.

I paid and went back home.

My phone rang on the way, but that just had to wait.

With the groceries in my room – that was the chocolate – I checked the phone.

Hades.

I called him back and sat down on the couch.

"Hey," he said. "What are you doing?"

"Sitting on my couch, and that's about it, why?"

"Can I come by?"

"Uhm, sure?"

"I'm here now, but I think your Dad might be here? Man, he's standing before the building, and he's done so for like, a few minutes."

I sighed and stood. I opened the window and looked down. We had a flat three floors up, so I could see it was Dad.

He heard the window, or something, because he looked up at me. "Can we talk?" he asked.

"About what?"

He lifted the letter. "I don't agree."

"Then not right now," I said.

"Stella! This is childish!"

"So?" I asked. "I'm tired, and I'll end up mad or pissed or sad, and I don't want that. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday."

"Donna and I are having a weekend spa," he called. "Open the door!"

"No! We'll talk next week! Have fun, Dad." I shut the window again. "Yeah, that was my Dad," I told Hades.

He chuckled. "Figures. He hasn't left yet, but it looks like he's calling someone."

I sighed. "I'm tired of this," I admitted.

"Talk to him?"

"And have him calling me childish because I wrote him a letter instead of talking to him?" I asked. "I'm tired, Hades, and I don't want to argue with him right now."

"Well, he's not leaving."

The doorbell chimed.

"And now he's ringing the doorbell." I said. "Fine! I'll come down, but please, if we start yelling, save me."