that text

Stella

I was sitting in the classroom, the last class of the day. A pile of papers were on the desk, tests and assignments.

I knew I'd be spending all weekendgoing through them. One week was all I got, before I needed time to refill myenergy levels again. A day of teaching, and I was beat. Maybe I could do a fewtests or a few assignments, but I didn't get anywhere. The doctors, and my owndoctor, had told me it would be a while before I was back on track. I didn'texpect it would last this long, though.

The door was opened.

"Hey," I said.

Taylor walked in. "It's so weird to be back in high school."

I smiled, and she sat down at one of the tables.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Contemplating reading a few of them here or going home and probably not getting anything done."

Taylor smiled. "Why don't you take a break, text the guy from the weekend, and then drive me home? I have homework too."

I rubbed my forehead. "Yeah, but I'm not sure what to write."

Taylor cracked her fingers. "That's where I come in handy," she remarked. "You want to meet him again, right?"

I nodded. I was too tired not to be honest, and it was Taylor, she knew me. It was me she'd come to when she'd gotten her first period, and when she wanted to ask a guy out. Never Donna. She was Donna, and Taylor and Adam liked her, and went to her, but not with everything. With most, they came to me.

"So just say you had a great time and maybe you can do something together?"

I smiled, strangely I had just the thing to ask him. With my phone in my hand, and the message typed out, I hesitated.

Stella: I had so much fun Saturday, and I realize now, that we have access to Hercules, the Disney show. So maybe we can watch some? Eat takeaway and get to know each other better?

Taylor snatched my phone and sent the message. "There, that was easy," she said. "And now it's time for us to go home."

I nodded and packed my stuff before I followed her out of school.

"I took the bus," she said. "And Adam has the car, so can we go to the grocery store before going home?"

I glanced in her direction.

"I want fish," she said. "And we don't have any, I checked before I left this morning."

"Okay then."