The News

At home something felt off. Toni was preparing a bag for what ever my mom was planning. I stood near the couch in confusion. Something was going to happen and I was not prepared for it. Mom finally broke the tension after thirty minutes of quiet.

"I need to talk to you girls before you girls go to bed." She sits on the arm of the couch.

"What about mom?" Toni zips up the bag.

"So I had a meeting with FP today, the ghouls are planning something on the Serpents. So I need to go on the Ghoulie territory to figure it out." She sounded like she was about to give her life.

"Mom that's so dangerous, why did he pick you to go?" I stand up.

"It doesn't matter he asked me so I need to, I won't be back for a couple of days." She sits me back down. "If I'm not back by Wednesday I want you to go tell FP and stay with your friends until FP gets back to you."

"Wait there's a possibility they will take you hostage?" Toni's voice trembles.

"Don't worry I will be back just promise me that you girls will go to FP and then to a friends, if I don't come here okay?" She pulls us together.

"Of course mom, I promise." I can't tell if I lied or not.

"I promise mom, but we know you'll be back on Wednesday." Toni sits down at the table.

"Thank you girls, now go to bed." She stands up.

Toni and I got up and walked away to our room, getting prepared to fear for our mother. To pray that nothing bad will happen to her. The ghoulies have been rising our chains for many of years, but it's been quiet for weeks. We all knew something was up and if my mom, one of the best serpents has to go in to the eye of the storm so be it. I sat in my bed with my desk light on as I wrote in my journal. The red ink imprinted on the page.

"Betty when did you start writing in diaries again?" Toni stood at the doorway, scarring me.

"I've been doing it since the first day of the year just to capture the memories." I close the book and sit up.

"Well our birthday is only in two weeks, I was wondering what you would like." She smirks at me.

"I have no references, what would you want?"

"I have no clue why don't we figure that out tomorrow, we should go to bed."

"Yeah I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight."

"Goodnight." Toni leans towards the light switch and flicks it off.

The next day felt terrible! Our mother was gone when we woke up and the quiet just grew more annoying to the both of us. I had a deep pit in my stomach that wouldn't go away. Toni just seemed sad--I guess it's not effecting her like it is effecting me. Toni decided to meet with Cheryl before school started to get her sadness at ease.

"Babe what's wrong?" Cheryl says as they sat on the bleachers of the gym.

"My mom is going on a mission on the ghouls territory today and I'm really worried." Toni looks at Cheryl.

"Toni I know your mom and I know she is one of the best serpents there is." She places a hand on Toni's leg.

"Thanks Cher you're the most amazing girlfriend ever."

"Anything for you Cha Cha." Toni grabs Cheryl's face and pulls her in close as she captures a kiss from the love of her life.

"Do you want to come over today? I can distract you." Cheryl moves to group of hair that fell into Toni's face.

"You know I always want that." Toni smiles.