10 | appear

record 10

record 10...JULY

5:42 PM

LEVI DOES HER BEST TO TUNE OUT OF THE NEWS, seeming to always fail miserably. The broadcast echoes about in her skull like a catchy song that refuses to leave. She taps her fingers anxiously at the circular dining room table in her trailer as Minni relentlessly presses her for answers. 

"You were there right? What happened?" Minni stops moving her pencil for a second, gesturing towards the television with a nod of her head. Levi looks at the screen too, instantly regretting it when the same static imagery of the rotting and peeling skin of Casey Jules flashes behind her eyes like a lighting strike. A storm was brewing. She could practically feel it, the thunder shaking the ground she stands on.

"ANOTHER BODY  FOUND ON CAPE FREEWELL BEACH..."

Levi hastily snatches up the television remote, turning the channel to some random kids show. Cam seems to appreciate this, humming in delight and plopping on the carpet in front of it. 

Minni sighs, dejectedly throwing her hands in the air as she watches the little boy giggle at the dancing cartoon characters. "I was watching that."

"I thought you were focused on your homework," Levi hums, leaning back in her chair and scrolling through her phone. "Why do you even do this stuff over the summer anyway?" 

A low breath leaves Minni's lips as she moves her bangs out of her eyes, her eyes squinting at the lines of text in the book in front of her. 

"I need to get into Newhurst University. If I have to take a few extra classes to make that more likely, I'll do it." Levi inwardly celebrates, thinking that she finally redirected her attention when she continues. "Anyway, just tell me what happened on the fourth and I'll stop asking." 

Levi pulls her earbuds out of her ears, eyes drifting from the dead fly on the windowsill to the streak of light coming in from the window on the front door. She doesn't want to even think about it, much less talk about it. It's keeping her up at night.

It makes her think of Maya among all of the other bodies half buried in the sand. It forces her to consider what to do next, especially now that she is in this alone after butting heads with Officer Park. 

For a second she wonders if she should have just put up with his constant belittling of her intellect, no matter how much it hurt. She should be used to it now after all. 

Levi bites her tongue, turning to face Minni. There is no avoiding it. 

"A couple found another body on the beach during the fireworks show," she starts, picking at a hole in her blue jeans. She looks up at the girl across the table. "I'll spare you the gruesome details. Just be careful, Minni, I'm serious."