A Short Forever Chapter 4

Authors Note: Hello all! I know it's been FOREVER (hehe, no pun intended) since I've uploaded, but what can I say? Life happens. Here is chapter 4, I know it's shorter than it should be, but chapter 5 is in the works and will be posted within the week if I get a couple votes, comments, etcetera. Thanks so much, and I hope you enjoy! :)

P.S. For all of you who are team Jeff and Alex (and come one, who isn't?) there's a nice surprise in this chapter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I walked up the sidewalk to Alex’s house, a thing I had done countless times over the years. I couldn’t help but wonder how many more times I’d have the privilege. The air was getting chillier and chillier. The weather had been sunny at 85 degrees for weeks on end and then in the second week of October the temperature had suddenly dropped. I personally preferred cooler weather, but the change in seasons just served as a reminder of how little time Alex had left.

When I found out Alex liked me I had been shocked at first. After I thought about it for awhile though, I realized it was mutual. This shook me to my very core. Alex was not a romantic interest, she was my best friend. Why can’t she be both? I had asked myself. Well maybe because she’ll be gone before graduation. Because not too far in the future she’ll be gone and I’ll be broken enough without having the sorrow one has when they have lost their love.

                “Jeff, why the hell are you sitting on my porch?” I looked up to find Alex staring down quizzically at me. I hadn’t heard the door open.

                “Just enjoying the fresh air?” I smiled sheepishly up at her. She smiled back and brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear. She looked better than she had in weeks. In fact, she just looked good in general. God she was so beautiful. I shook my head to clear these futile thoughts.

                “No, what? I haven’t even proposed any shenanigans yet!” Alex laughed. I half heartedly chuckled right along with her. She reached a hand down to help me up. I took her hand and she attempted to pull me up but faltered without getting me an inch off the ground. She stumbled and tried to regain her balance but fell on top of me. “Oops.” She breathed and giggled. I had caught her when she had fallen and was now holding her bridal style. Her face was so close to mine I could kiss her without moving a full 2 inches. She looked down at me shyly. “I never noticed the bits of gold that are in your eyes, they’re beautiful.” She told me. No, she was beautiful. At that moment I realized I had to tell her this. Even if it would hurt me, I had to tell her. It would hurt me more if I never told her how I felt.

I leaned in and pressed my lips to hers.