2.1

Luke's POV

"So, what did you guys want to do today? You know, since we're all together." Calum murmured, glancing at all of us. He was sitting on the same couch as Michael, across from me and Jem, who had my hand resting on her lap as she played with my fingers quietly.

They had been over for awhile, but we barely did anything except just talk. We hadn't seen each other all together for awhile, but now everyone was here. Except Ashton, but I don't think that bothered any of us.

I shrugged, starting to play with my lip ring, "I don't know, we could just stay here. Just to hang out, yeah? We haven't been together, as a group, lately. It'd be nice to just.. stay here." I mumbled, not really knowing how to word it. I felt like they understood what I meant, though, because everyone nodded.

Calum started saying something, but I didn't pay attention to it since I felt my phone start vibrating in my back pocket. Whatever it was made Jem and Michael laugh, though.

Hearing Jem's laugh made me smile and that must have made them think I was paying attention, even though I wasn't. At all.

At first, I didn't bother answering the call. The phone kept vibrating in my pocket, and then it stopped. I assumed it wasn't important, but then it went off again.

"I can feel your phone going off, Luke," Jem said, laughing a little. I blushed and moved my hand away from her lap, slipping the phone from my pocket. I gave them all an apologetic look, because I didn't plan on answering any calls during the time they were over, but the number displayed on the phone screen was the number that made me nervous every time I saw it.

It was the number to the hospital, and they only ever called me over important things having to do with my mum.

"I'm sorry, I have to answer this," I mumbled, getting up quickly. While walking up the stairs to my room so it would be quieter, I tripped over my own foot and I only blushed more when I could hear Jem laughing because of it.

I pressed the "answer" button and took a deep breath before speaking into the phone.

"Hello?" I spoke nervously, thinking about all the possible reasons they could have been calling me for.

On the other side of the phone, a woman started speaking, in a tone that sounded guilty, almost.

"Hello, is this Lucas Hemmings?" She said into the phone clearly. I nodded, which was a dumb thing to do, but quickly mumbled "Yeah," under my breath, but loud enough for her to hear.

There was a short silence, the only sound was papers being shuffled in her hands loud enough for me to hear before she spoke again.

"We're sorry to say that your mother, Liz Hemmings, has passed away today."

I knew she was talking, and I knew everyone downstairs was talking, but it was silent. I couldn't hear anything, and everything felt slow and heavy and I didn't feel strong enough to hold it all.

I don't know how long it was until the call ended, but I do know that I didn't hold the phone long enough to find out anyways.

My back was pressed against my bedroom door, and I slid down it until I was sitting on the floor. Everything looked blurry from the tears that wouldn't stop. I couldn't breathe, it felt like everything came down at once, harshly.

I tangled my fingers in the roots of my hair, tugging at it slightly while I shut my eyes tightly, trying to block out the tears. I could feel the wetness of my cheeks against my palms while I shook, screaming.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of hands touching mine, shaking them slightly. I didn't know who it was, but I guessed it was Jem by the smallness of her hands and gentle touch.