0.8

(a/n: u should probably listen to "cold coffee" by ed sheeran while reading this bc..,.,..,)

Two days later, I still hadn't talked to Luke since he left the record shop, and Michael still hadn't told me about Luke's mom, or why she was in the hospital.

As usual, I started to get worried, just like I had always been. I know I didn't express it much, and I tried to reject the sick feeling in my stomach, but I've always been worried about Luke.

He cries, and then acts okay when I see him. I want to learn about the things that get under his skin and pick him to the point where he cries, and I want to be the person to help get rid of those things.

When I passed the same pet shop Luke worked in while I was walking home, I slowed down to peer into the windows.

I saw the dog that I brought to the shop awhile ago, biting my lip in confusion because I thought I'd heard him at Luke's house.

Just as I glanced up again, I saw Luke leaning against the counter, eyeing me with a smile through the glass door.

I smiled back and opened the door, walking in towards him.

"Jem," Luke spoke, letting the word out simply while his smile softened.

"Music note." I hummed, looking at his name tag on his chest before looking back up at him.

"Sorry for leaving the other day," He mumbled, his eyes saddening slightly.

I shrugged, repositioning the bag on my hip, "It's okay."

Luke looked at me, not saying anything and letting silence fill the atmosphere. It felt like we stared at each other for hours before I broke the silence only after a few seconds.

"Do you want to hang out tonight?"

Luke bit his lip at my question and sighed, "I'd say yeah, but me and the boys have band practice tonight."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he spoke again, a little sadder, "It's not practice, actually, it's more of a meeting or something. Michael wanted to talk about something, he wouldn't tell me over the phone."

I cleared my throat and nodded, shifting on my heels, "When do you get off work?"

Luke looked at the clock and grinned, his mood changing completely as it usually did, "Now."

**

Me and Luke had ended up going to one of the coffee shops, talking about nothing and everything at the same time while walking.

I noticed that that was how Luke really opened up. Talk about nothing, and then the conversation branches out to more things, and he talks more and he smiles more at every word.

We'd been sitting at one of the booths for awhile now, both of us holding a coffee while a small divider beside our table separated us from the rest of the shop.

Luke was smiling but he was looking down, holding the cup with both hands while letting his fingers interlock when they met.

I was holding mine the same way, but I was smiling at him even though he had his head tilted down to face the table.

"I really like you, Jem." He murmured, glancing up with his eyebrows raised. I blushed, taking my turn to look down.

"Like," He sighed, running a hand through his hair with a hand still wrapped around the coffee cup, "I like talking to you. You're interesting, and you can think for yourself. Not a lot of girls can these days," He grinned, both of us laughing at his remark, "You're sweet, you know? And you don't talk shit."

Luke was grinning now, leaning back in his seat and crossing his arms over his chest. I was looking at him, studying his smug face.

"I like you too, Luke." I hummed, laughing softly at how his eyes almost began glowing.

He snapped his fingers and stood up, grabbing the coffee cup, "Hey, I got that band thing in like an hour. Want me to walk you home?"

I nodded, gladly taking the opportunity to be with Luke a little longer. I stood up and fixed my bag before grabbing the half-empty coffee cup before the both of us left.

"I'd ask if you wanted to come along to practice, or whatever, but I think it's serious," He paused, clearing his throat, "if anything Michael says is serious." Luke snorted, rolling his eyes playfully. I laughed, because he was right, Michael usually wasn't serious.

"It's okay, I didn't want to intrude on anything, anyways." I spoke, looking up at him with a smile. He sipped his coffee and smiled back.

Silence took over again, and then Luke let out a dramatic sigh.

"This coffee is cold."

"I like cold coffee." I pouted, "What did cold coffee ever do to you?"

Luke ignored me and hummed before singing softly.

" She's like cold coffee in the morning,

I'm drunk off last night's whiskey and coke,

she'll make me shiver without warning,

and make me laugh as if I'm in on the joke, "

He sang the song, holding his coffee cup in the air with a smile and his eyes closed.

I didn't sing along, even though he was singing one of my favorite songs. I just watched him, giggling. He stopped before the chorus.

"I love that song," I sighed, humming it quietly as we walked. Luke smiled with a nod and hummed along, kicking at the rocks in the pavement.

As we got closer to my house, I had finished the rest of my coffee, and Luke had too.

I looked at him, breaking the silence. We had stopped the humming awhile ago and hadn't said anything since.

"The dog, that I brought to you that day, I thought you took him home?"

Luke bit his lip, shrugging, "I did, for a bit. I only brought him over for a few nights and then I realized I'm not responsible to handle a dog on my own, I don't have that time." He blushed, saying the words as if they embarrassed him, "I have to take care of my mum instead."

He spoke the last part a bit quieter, but I still heard. I didn't want to let it slide this time, I wanted to know these things.

I cleared my throat, nodding slightly before speaking again, "What happened to her?"

Luke sighed, "She's been pretty sick lately, and we're not entirely sure why, or why it's getting worse. She got this test taken, results are supposed to be back within the month. But she's been in the hospital for about two weeks, I think she might be able to come home soon. Hopefully."

I nodded, dropping the subject and stopping in front of my house. I stopped Luke by grabbing his wrist, because he almost walked right past it.

"I'll text you later or something. If practice doesn't take too long, we could maybe hang out still." Luke said, casting a weak smile.

"Okay, music-note." I grinned, backing up the path to my door.

Luke grinned, "I'll see you later, Jem."

//

i was really iffy abt this chapter but i reread it nd got my good friend lostboycalum (she's a doll u should check her out mayne) to read it nd i actually think it's sssosos cute tBH

i hope you listened to the song while reading bc :-)

also pleaSe comment !! please !! it helps me a lot !! thank u !!

until next time, m80's