CHAPTER TWO

Canada - Garrison Petawawa, Ontario
June 2005

Breathing slowly, Robbie tried to control his perspiration from the summer humidity, but he was losing the battle. At least it's drier and colder in the field. He blotted his brow, bent over, and dried the moisture on his socks.

"Sergeant Kander? The General will now see you. Follow me." The lean Lieutenant Colonel Welby narrowed his eyes and looked down.

"Yes, sir." Robbie stood and walked behind the Colonel.

After Colonel Welby gave a quick knock on the door, he opened it and motioned for Robbie to enter. "Sergeant Kander as requested, sir. Will there be anything else?"

Robbie stood in front of the ornate oak desk and near one of the leather padded chairs.

General Jackson, with his back to the door, glanced over his shoulder. With the hint of a Montreal accent, the general dismissed Welby. "Thank you, Lieutenant Colonel."

Robbie snapped to attention and saluted.

"At ease, soldier. Please take a seat."

Robbie slipped into the chair and removed his hat.

The general walked around the desk, leaned back and crossed his arms. He stared at Robbie. "The information I'm about to share, can't leave this room. Do you understand?"

Robbie sat upright. "Yes, sir."

The general made eye contact. "Your involvement over there is not documented, except in sealed "eyes only" folders. Never discuss it with anyone, not your parents, girl friend, wife. . . nobody! Do you understand?"

Robbie pinched his eyebrows. "Yes, sir."

"You're not going to like this but we're discharging you today."

Robbie leaned forward. "Excuse me?"

The general pulled a small maroon colored box off his desk and extended it toward Robbie.

Inside the box lay a ribbon with two bold red bands, bracketed by white lines, and divided with a thin blue stripe and connected to a brass star. Robbie looked up and squinted at the general.

"Soldier, I wish we could do this in a real ceremony, but as you know, your team doesn't exist and they weren't officially in Afghanistan. I'm afraid this is all the pomp and circumstance you're gonna get."

Robbie swallowed a hard lump in his throat. "I don't deserve this, but thank you."

"I don't need to tell you that we were surprised by the losses." The general frowned and shook his head. "The experts had us down for a fifty-percent casualty. You're one lucky son-of-a gun."

"It doesn't feel that way, sir."

"You're getting an early discharge, soldier."

"But, why? What did I do? I still want to fight." Robbie slouched in his chair.

"You're tainted soldier. None of the other men will work with you, so we're doing the right thing and letting you go early. We're promoting you to sergeant first class. It'll be the pension for the rest of your life."

"Look, this wasn't my fault! The army can't possibly hold me responsible?"

"It doesn't matter what I think. But, you're cursed. How many times have you survived other men in your unit—three if I recall?"

Robbie let his shoulders droop. "This was my third unit, but I can't control the universe."

"Son, you were one of four that survived your first unit. Only two of you made it out of your second. And now this one. . . this is the worst. Your track record isn't that great Sergeant Kander. We're letting you go and sending you home."