"I know, Kira! I know I messed up in the past but . . ." She pauses, taking a deep sigh while running a hand through her blonde hair that is now slightly ombre at the natural black manifesting on the roots. "But I'm seeing him in a different light now." Sincerity laces her tone of voice.

"A good light, right?" I tease, and we laugh heartily, embracing this amazing feeling of self-discovery and acceptance.

It's what we both needed, after all. And it's never a small journey knowing who you are and what you truly need rather than want. This summer has been an eye-opener to us both.

"He's different, Kira," Sam proceeds, a gleam in her eyes preceding the million butterflies residing in her stomach. How cute! "Maybe it's something I should've realized sooner, right? But . . . Well . . . I'm still seeing it positively. And better late than never, right? I mean, he may not be as young, funny, or superficial like—"

"Like all the guys you usually go after?" I finish for her, and she nods wistfully. "Isn't that a good thing? Because I never agreed with your choice of men, to be honest, and you know that."

Well, except one guy who nearly broke us apart. How ironic!

"Yeah, rub it in." Sam rolls her eyes again.

I chuckle.

"Okay, I'll stop being a bitch," I say resignedly and suck in a deep breath. "Tell me more." I stare at her expectantly, curious to know about her new conquest.

Sam flushes. "Well, Jonathan is . . . he's just so nice to me, Kira, and I feel like I don't deserve him at all," she says remorsefully.

"Well, you're kinda right." I mess with her, and her reaction is priceless.

Those cheeky eyes flinching, those smart lips twitching in bemusement—such a fine payback.

"What do you mean?" she urges.

"You kind of treated him badly, and you should be the one asking for the second chance, not him," I casually remark, and Sam pouts her lips. "My point is that I'm glad you've realized it."

"I know I'm a bad girl." She sighs. "I've never been what I could address as good, so different from you."

"No, I beg to differ. You're not bad, Samantha. Not at all. You're just twisted and afraid of commitments, that's all. But Jonathan loves you, regardless, and that's the most important thing, don't you think?"

"Maybe?" Sam utters, dragging her head into the headrest of the sofa.

"The best thing you can do is to make yourself deserving of his love. Just love him back, and it won't be that hard, judging from the twinkle in your eyes."

"I know," she says, "and I think I'm done with all the stupid shit. I wanna grow up, and be a better person."

Now this is growth already. I smile fondly.

"That's good. I'm so happy for you," I tell her.

"And guess what?"

"What?"

"He's offered me a job, and I told him I'd think about it."

"Really now? And what's the job?" I muse, excited.

"Managing the resort," Sam says elatedly. "Can you imagine I'll no longer be someone's assistant but a boss?"

"Uh!" I take a dramatic sigh. "I can already picture the poor souls suffering under your tyranny. Samantha the bosslady! How epic!"

"What!" Sam snaps, and we both laugh loudly. "I'll be a good boss, come on."

"Oh, yeah, I believe you." I recline back, staring at her smiley face until her excitement tones down. "You can do it, Sam. I know you can," I utter softly.