Forty-nine

Liam told me about his childhood during our talk last night, and it was a bit sad as he had no friends at all. It was just him and his toys, if he wasn't studying or drawing ships and boats to follow his father's work. They own a shipbuilding and repairing company and he's the CEO.

Frankly, I was impressed as he's also a marine engineer other than that.

He started working at his father's company when he turned sixteen, and again his teenage years weren't as glamorous as most teenagers'. He almost had no friends but a few acquaintances. I could picture a young man busy playing an adult instead of partying and dating girls.

But then again, if it weren't for Sam, I'd have been the same as him.

He told me about his first time meeting Malik, who appeared at the late Mr. Darcy's office, as a rude and arrogant young man with plenty of money, to frivolously buy the company. I wasn't extremely surprised by such audacity coming from Malik, but I was still surprised.

How I'd love to see that!

Liam's father agreed to sell it with a condition that Malik had to work for him for three months. And just to prove his bravery, Malik agreed. That was the end of the old Malik, and a new one was born within the period of three months.

Charles Darcy taught him manners and he's forever grateful.

So instead of the company to Malik, he made him a partner. With Liam as the brain, he believed Malik worked great as the frame with his great social skills and eye for people. The two became two sides of the same coin—in business, and even in real life—thanks to that little dare.

I was amazed by their story, and many other crazy things Malik made Liam do while growing up into the men they are today. Honestly, it made me feel horrible as I wished my friendship with Sam was as solid as theirs, but sadly it's not.

I wake up feeling great this morning, a smile on my face at the memory of last night. Well, excluding the nightmare, the rest of the night was splendid. I find a few missed calls from Jeremy's brother, Jonathan. I sit straight in bed, surprised.

We haven't talked in months, and I even wonder how I still have his number in my phone.

Jonathan was once my boss when I worked at his family resort, and we had a very respectable relationship. Even after he broke up with Sam from their short-lived fling, he still treated me with uttermost care and respect, as always.

As much as I want to ignore his calls, I feel inclined to at least return them and hear what he has to say. And I'm sure it's about Jeremy.

Still occupied with thoughts, my phone buzzes. I sigh and look at Liam at the same time. He is still fast asleep, snoring faintly. Seeing no reaction from him, I get out of the bedroom to answer the call, because I know he wouldn't love this at all if he gets that it's Jeremy's brother.

"Kira?" I hear Jonathan's very calm voice.

"Jonathan," I reply wryly. "What do you want?" My eyes are stuck on the morning sight stretched outside through the window.

It's a very bright summer morning, the air a bit chilly and humid at the same time.

"I'm sorry for everything, are you okay?" he asks, and I suck in a soft breath.

I knew it's about the incident.

"I'm trying to be," I say dryly, watching the bamboo trees dancing slowly from the light breeze.

"Kira, I need to talk to. And before you say no, please hear me out first," Jonathan says after a long hesitant pause.

"What is it?" A gush of small wind tickles my skin, impelling my arms to shield my upper body as I step onto the patio.