The Dinner

Night fell over the grand Mansion. Daniel rested in his room, remembering his childhood as he looked outside the window. The view did not change over the years. He noticed the same forest that he always admired, even when climbing to the window was an almost impossible task for him. Stephen was sitting in the corner of the library, admiring the dusty books that lied there for decades. He was proud of himself. It has been a month since he was clean on meth. He tried his best, filling the missing piece of his addictions with alcohol instead.

Within the other room, Meredith and Linda still unpacked their stuff, continuing to discuss their memories and adventures since the last time they spoke. They never met in person due to Meredith's departure. But they always used to talk as Linda was the only family that she had apart from her mother.

"So, did you finally find someone Meredith? Some lovely Russian boy stole your ice-cold heart?" Linda said, laughing while looking at some of the clothes that she brought with her.

Meredith changed her clothes from the formal style to something more comfortable to wear for the family dinner. "Not yet, Lin. I do not like to think about men now. How is it going with Arnold? Are you still together?"

"Of course, we are Mer." She replied without looking at her. "He is the best man I ever met. He taught me everything I know and made me who I am." Linda started to dance around the room, thinking how much she missed her fiancé. "I would do anything for him. And you know, he was very supportive about the idea of me coming here to spend some time with my family." She stopped in front of Meredith and sat on the floor "How does it feel to come back inside the old house?"

"Uh, do not make me think about it. I wished him dead for a long time. After everything, he did to my mother." She looked into Linda's eyes and continued. "Even though we have different mothers, Linda, you are the only person that I consider family in this house."

"I thought that it was Daniel," Linda replied, laughing.

"That asshole's only thought in mind is himself and his pride. He bullied me since I was a child. But I should be grateful to him. In the end, with his attitude, he made me what I am now." Meredith got up and walked towards the door.

"What would you do with the company Mer? I mean if you inherit it." Linda asked curiously.

"I do not want the company nor his money Linda." She almost shouted her answer. "I came here for other reasons." Meredith paused and looked to the floor.

"Why?"

Both stayed silent for a minute before Meredith decided to break it. "There is something I must do Linda. Something I wished to do since my mother died because of the divorce. We will talk after dinner."

Linda started to be suspicious of her sister. She could not understand what she meant. Different thoughts came to her mind, but she did not want to be bothered about them yet. Both women got out of the room and headed downstairs, meeting with Stephan. Daniel was alone in the dining room, looking over to the table full of food and beverages for them. Alison prepared everything during the afternoon, making different types of roasts and salads. She even allocated each sit to all the members of the family with a small card in front of each plate. All four were supposed to sit facing each other while Gerald was at the head of the table. The room was well lit and felt comfortable. The smell of food filled the air and merged with the mundane smell of old that the Mansion was full of.

Daniel Stephan and Meredith sat at the table. Linda looked at her sit and talked to Alison. "I am sorry Love, but I cannot sit on the left side of the table. People say that the left angle brings bad luck. Is it okay if I swap the sit with my fathers?"

"Sure Linda. Not a problem at all I am sure that Gerald would not mind."

Alison swapped the two cards with Gerald's and Linda's name and returned to the kitchen. Daniel got up from the chair and shouted towards Linda.

"Why are you so childish that you even have to complain about a stupid sit?"

"I sit wherever I want Daniel, and you have no right to judge me," Linda replied aggressively. She looked at him with wide eyes.

"Stop being a baby, Linda," Daniel shouted again. He was starting to sweat, and his breath was heavier.

"And you stop thinking to be the leader of this family like you always did," Linda replied to him.

Gerald came inside the dining room, walking slowly towards the table.

"Please, let's not fight at the dinner table. I called you here for a family reunion not to kill each other." Gerald said softly and calmly.

Linda and Daniel sat down again and calmed. Daniel continued to look over to Linda's sit, continuing to sweat slowly. Gerald looked at each one of them and smiled.

"My boys and girls you have grown so much since the last time I've seen you. You cannot even imagine how happy I am to have you back here from such a long time." Gerald said with an old crying voice.

"Why it took you so long to contact us, Father?" Stephan asked from the end of the table. "I mean maybe it is not the same for all of you. But if I remember well, you kicked me out of the house."

"I made a lot of mistakes to you Stephan I know that, and I am truly sorry." Gerald stopped eating and looked into his eyes. "I was not a good father to you all. But I hope you can still care about me after all that happened between us."

"Why would we care? You did not seem to care that much for us." Meredith looked at him challenging his answer.

"I did, even if I did not show it all the times. Everything I did was for your safety and greatness." Gerald felt guilty while looking into Meredith's eyes.

"So, fucking with your secretary while our mother waited for you at home was for our safety and greatness as well? Or was it only for your pleasure?" Meredith replied to him.

All silenced and stopped eating observing the debate between them.

"As I said Mer, I have done a lot of mistakes that I am not proud of during my young days." Gerald remained calm "I hope I can win your trust again in the few time that remained."

"Less than a year would not be enough for repairing my last 30 years of suffering that you caused father," Meredith replied, remaining silent and continued to eat.

Gerald remained silent as well before changing the subject of the discussions.

"As you all read in my letter, I called you here to discuss some important matters regarding the legacy of this family and of the company that my father built for us a long time ago." He paused to make sure he caught everyone's attention. "Someone has to lead the company with an iron fist to make sure that it will evolve with the future. And soon I will decide who will inherit it after my death. You are the next generation of the Montgomery, and you all should be proud of the name you are carrying. But tonight, we will rest, and we must fix the past before thinking about the future. We shall toast in the name of this family."

Gerald grabbed a Champagne bottle and poured some in everyone's crystal glass. All the family got up and raised their glasses to the light of the chandelier. Linda started to drink first.

"To the Montgomery family. I hope this reunion can fix the mistakes and lead us to the future- "Gerald stopped shocked as everyone screamed and turned away from the table.

The glass that Linda had shattered on the marble floor. Her eyes turned red while she was unable to breathe. Her lips turned blue while she kneeled, vomiting blood. Meredith runs closer to her, while Alison rushed back into the room, screaming.

"Lin, Lin, talk to me?" Meredith screamed. "Call an ambulance." She shouted to the other brothers. Gerald kneeled as well in a panic next to his daughter. He placed his hands on her chest and started to push slowly. "Her heartbeat is extremely high. Call in ambulance quick." He screamed as well.

Linda started to shake on the floor. White foam emerged from her mouth. Her eyes stared blankly in tears towards the ceiling before the light vanished from her gaze. Alison called an ambulance, but it was too late for it.

Linda stopped shaking, stopped screaming, stopped breathing. Her lifeless body remained still on her father's and sister's arms while they started to cry.