Wildflowers and lakes

Arthur was a naturally nosy person, so when he realized Merlin would go out every Friday at 4pm he grew curious. He had asked him about it a few times but the servant simply shook it off without further question. Arthur thought about using his title to get Merlin to talk, but decided not to when he realised everyone deserved a little privacy, even servants. Years ago he wouldn't have the same mindset, but Merlin himself had told him those words and they stuck

Arthur had waited near Gaius' chambers for nearly two hours before Merlin finally left and Arthur followed in tow, hiding in a corner when Merlin left the chambers and headed down the halls. Arthur followed behind him, occasionally ducking in halls as the boy looked behind him, like he could sense he was being watched. The King watched as Merlin was stopped at every turn by serving boys and girls, as well as Knights and Arthur was shocked at just how popular the boy was. He knew Merlin was well known around the castle and was often the subject of servant gossip, but he didn't think everybody in the citadel knew him

He cocked his heat to the side in confusion when Merlin walked towards Camelot's gates, the Guards apparently knowing him well enough not to stop and ask what he was doing. Arthur waited until Merlin was a good distance away before slipping past the Guards himself, weaving in and out of trees to keep himself hidden.

He watched as Merlin walked through the woods, gliding around trees and over stumps like he was floating. Arthur was surprised to see just how carefree Merlin was in the woods, normally he would trip over or run into something when they were hunting, all though Arthur had a suspicion that Merlin did that on purpose to scare the animals away.

He quickly hid behind a tree when Merlin stopped in a field of wildflowers. He watched as the boy sat down on the grass and began picking the flowers, gently humming to himself as he began making what looked to be a flower crown.

Arthur always loved it when Merlin hummed, it was like a gentle melody. He had always tried to make out what he was humming but always failed as the servant would stop when he noticed Arthur watching. The King would never admit it but he had once or twice fantasized him lying on Merlin's chest while Merlin hummed that sweet melody, the vibrations rumbling through his chest. 

He stood behind a tree for what felt like hours, watching Merlin weave flowers together until the crown was finished. Shifting uncomfortably, he was relieved when Merlin stood and walked towards the lake. His feet had started to ache long ago and he feared if he couldn't rest soon he would collapse and blow his cover.

Arthur furrowed his brows when Merlin walked towards the waters edge, kneeling on the sand. He put the crown in the water and watched as it slowly drifted with the wind until it couldn't be seen anymore.

The King frowned when he saw Merlin's small frame start to shiver, accompanied by small sniffles. He had only heard the boy cry a handful of times, and despite his discomfort with emotions, it broke Arthur's heart all the same and he did his best to try and cheer him up.

"Hi Mum" Merlin whispered, shifting to sit on his knees. 

Arthur frowned but continued to listen. He watched as Merlin stayed silent for a while, small almost silent sobs escaping his lips. The King itched to go over and comfort him, to pull him in strong arms and tell him everything would be okay. Though he didn't know what was wrong in the first place, he was sure those words would still work just as well.

"I miss you"

The King hadn't put two and two together until now, and he realised the reason Merlin was here. He was disappointed Merlin had never told him his Mother passed, but then he remembered all the things he had said to the servant over the years and realised the boy probably thinks he's just that, a servant. He was much more than a servant though, he was a friend, a powerful warlock and most importantly, Arthurs. It had taken him longer than he would like to admit to realise the things he felt for Merlin were more than platonic, and even when he finally did realise he vowed to himself he would never say a word to anyone.