𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

You stood there for a moment. Honestly, you didn't know what to think. What to feel. Had she seen you? Surely. You expected her to be angry, or at least sad, but when she walked past it seemed like she hadn't a shadow of any emotion at all.

You let your gaze follow your mother's limp figure as she made her way to her own room, opening her door and then closing it a little slower than should've been considered normal. When she closed the door, something deep within you formed - like it was eating you up from the inside. The feeling was uncanny and unnatural, like you had surely felt it before but each time you felt it it was as fresh and new as ever. You knew by the way your hands began to tremble and how you stood silently that this emotion was nothing you hadn't felt before.

This emotion was fear.

Your eyes drifted towards the door in front of you, where you saw Beverly sitting anxiously on your bedside - presumably waiting for you to make the next move. You tried to walk forward, but you found yourself almost stuck in place. The sheer presence of your mother had never made you feel like this before. She wouldn't have done this. No, your mother never would've done this to you. You didn't understand why she was acting like nothing happened. You didn't understand why she wasn't acting like herself. The way she walked was slow, and wonky, like she was trying to act normal but just couldn't. Her eyes were full and tired, like she hadn't even slept.

You were scared for yourself, but you were even more scared for her.

Eventually, you slowly made your way into the kitchen where you stared at your mother, who was digging into the fridge.

"Ma..?" You said, quietly. Your mother didn't hear you over the rattling of the things in the fridge. You walked a little closer and tried again.

"Ma."

You weren't close enough.

It only took a little bit before you were almost behind her, and you felt your hands shake a little. You needed to rid yourself of the feeling.

Breathe in.

"Ma."

Her body stiffened a little. Slowly, your mother's head turned from the fridge to you in a matter of seconds - and there you were, staring her down for what seemed like eternity. Her eyes looked a little red and she had bags under them, so you got the impression that she hadn't slept much. You opened your mouth to speak.

Breathe in.

"Are you.. okay?"

She looked at you curiously for a moment, like she couldn't even understand you.
"Umm, yes. I'm okay. What's wrong?"

Her calm tone scared you. Really. Why was she acting like this? It was almost as if.. she didn't even remember.

"..Don't you remember what happened..?" You said, answering her with a short mumble. You but your lip nervously. Your mother chuckled, and you forced an anxious smile across your face as concern riddle in your eyes.

"I'm really sorry. I don't remember much—I remember going out to the bar, and then drinking a lot.. I think I might've.. blacked out."

You didn't respond, but your eyes widened.
She didn't remember.
Was this a good thing?

"I don't think I slept much, either.. sorry you had to see me like that. If I scared you, I'm sorry.. haha. I must've been thinking about your father again."

No. That's a lie. It's about your job, and about Alvin.
Should I speak up? Does she even care about what happened to her if she had blacked out?
Why isn't she asking me if I'm okay..?

Your mother looked up at you again.
"Is there anything you need to tell me..?"

You didn't really know what to say at this point. You were at a loss for a words, thinking about the many many ways this could go and what you could say. In the end, you chose something simple and easy.

Breathe in.

"..Beverly's here. In my room.." You said, nervously awaiting an answer. Your mom's eyes darted to the hallway and then back to you, where her gaze stayed.

"Oh.. okay. Do you want me to make you any food?"

You gulped.
"No thank you.."
You didn't feel right being like this. You didn't want to be here right now.

Excusing yourself quickly, you speed-walked back to your room and opened the door to see a very frightened looking Bev sitting on the side of your bed. She opened her mouth to speak, but kept it agape as you walked in. Patiently, she waited for the door to close behind you.

Immediately she shot up and walked over to you, offering her arms out for a soft hug.
"Did it go okay?" She said, and you slowly wrapped your arms around her.

It was a little funny - you didn't even feel like crying. You were just so tired and dazed and confused. You couldn't even cry about it.

Bev wrapped her arms around you and pat your back lightly.

"I promise you'll be okay, (Y/N).." She said, and you nodded silently. Letting go of her, you looked over at the doorframe once more.

"..She doesn't remember anything about what she did to me, Bev."