𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐏 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘

You spent the remainder of your day inside, accompanied by your trusty cousin. In the beginning it was a little awkward - because you didn't really know what to do. Beverly helped you get your mind off of your mother with a couple movies and all the gossip.

"So, this.. Alyssa girl, right?" She said, twirling her ginger locks around her finger.
"Mhm."
"She starts to look for me around the school - and I'm like, what? Why?"
"Yeah.."
"Turns out she had it in for me cause' word around the school was I had a makeout session her boyfriend."
Your face scrunched up at the thought.
"No way! And she believed that?"
"That's the weird part! I don't even know how someone as ignorant as her could believe something like that. Like, me? Really? Plus, I don't even know her boyfriend's name and the rumour still spread like the plague."
"..So who started the gossip?"
"I'm still not sure, but my bet's on Greta Bowie, this blue-eyed blondie who likes to think she owns the school."
"..Stereotypical."

Beverly nodded in response, digging her hand into a bag of chips that sat close nearby her as you two faced eachother on your couch. Your eyes wandered towards the bag, and as Bev noticed this she handed the bag to you and you smiled as you took a chip. She placed the bag back in the spot it was before and gulped down her food.

"Anyway, she's hated me for like, forever. There's never been a definite reason as to why."
You smiled.
"She's jealous, duh."
"About me? No way. Like I said, nobody'd ever want to kiss me—"
"But you're so pretty!" You exclaimed, raising your hands up high to emphasise your point. Beverly smiled at you, taking another chip from the bag.
"Thanks, cuz. You're pretty too."
Her eyes wandered to your eyes, and then to your hair.
"..But you know what?"
Slightly nervous, you mumble a small 'What?'.
"You'd look even prettier with makeup!"

-

In less than a minute, you were in your room and Beverly was taking things from your makeup drawer, sneaking a glance back at you every now and then to see your confused face. Each time she'd look back at you, she'd smile reassuringly, and you smile back at her despite being very very confused. She ended up with a handful of makeup products, turning back to you with a grin.
"Take a seat."

After sitting down, Beverly got to work. You didn't entirely now what she was doing, but you trusted her, and that's what kept you from trying to look at yourself in the mirror. Beverly beckoned you to wait and see, and you listened. She got out what must've been eyeliner and eyeshadow and applied it, gently. You closed your eyes for the rest of it - but you estimated it took about 8 minutes for the rest of it to be done.

"Okay, I'm finished. Take a look."

You opened your eyes and looked over at Beverly, noticing a couple of smudges of makeup on her hands. She smiled at you and waved for you to look at your mirror, and you made your way over slowly.

Your mouth hung shape when you saw your face.

The eyeliner was perfect. The glimmering (Favourite Colour) eyeshadow contrasted perfectly to your hair, your eyes, and everything about you. There was a hint of slightly pink blush that went across your cheeks and onto your nose, sparkling like it were in the sun. It was almost as if there were sparkles gleaming across your face, and for the first time in a long while you felt pretty. It looked perfect, and the hugest grin spread across your face like wildfire.

"Beverly, I. Love. It!!"
You jumped up, speeding towards Bev and grabbing her shoulders, shaking her while laughing. You continued to giggle, not letting go of Beverly. You squealed with glee, hugging her and jumping up and down. She smiled back at you, sneaking giggles within little 'okaY, okay!'s and 'calm down's. When you finally stopped jumping, you looked at yourself in the mirror again. You placed a hand on your cheek again, feeling happy and gleeful, and then you turned back to Beverly.

"Your turn."

-

You used similar supplies to Beverly's. You weren't fond of makeup, but your mother always had so much that at some point in your life she started to give hers to you. So, to sum things up you had a lot of makeup, and many different shades of many different things. You looked at yourself every now and then to see if you could try and emulate the look you had on her. Honestly, you weren't even sure if your skills were as good as hers, but you tried your best.

She kept still as you dragged the eyeliner shortly across the left end of her eye, and once done you did it to her opposite eye. You added details and then went for the eyeshadow, picking a colour that was the opposite of yours. You picked it up, examining the nice looking texture,

and then you heard a door open.

It was faint, and in the distance, but when you heard it your stomach dropped. Your hands began to shake and you dropped the eyeshadow, jerking your head around to look at Beverly, who had her eyes wide open. You made a run for the bathroom, not caring to look down the hallway, and you got in.

You washed your face violently, removing every trace of makeup you had on you - a lump in your throat. You knew exactly who came through the front door. You didn't even have to think for a second about who it was. And because of that, something deep within you was welling up. You didn't want to face her while Beverly was in your home. You didn't want her to yell.

As you washed your face, you thought about every possible way this could go.

And when you walked outside, you saw her. You saw your mother.

But your mother did not see you.

And she walked straight past you, into her room.