Chapter 23

I got up around 10, ate breakfast then went to take a shower. It was around 11 30 when I got completely ready. 

Clarissa's outfit^^^^^

I was standing outside Jake's house just about to ring the bell when the door opened. Jake was standing there looking as gorgeous as ever. He was wearing his black track shorts and black tank top.

"I thought that you told me that you will be here this morning." He raised his eyebrow, his face covered with an amused expression.

"It's morning for me Jake. You know how much I love my sleep." I shrugged and entered his house.

Jake closed the door behind me. I turned around to ask him where his mom and sister were when I saw his gaze on my legs.

He always loved when I wore shorts. He liked my legs on display.

I cleared my throat. He looked up immediately as if woken from a trance. "Um." I coughed once. "Where are your parents and sister?"

He was nervous I could tell. He was rubbing the back of his neck. "Mom and Katja went to get their nails done and have some girl time." He rolled his eyes. "And dad is at work." He shrugged then gestured me to follow him to his room.

As I climbed each step I began to get nervous with every step I climbed. I entered his way too familiar room. Everything was the same.

He saw me looking around. "We can practice here. I'll get my speaker." I nodded and looked around. His room was big enough to practice. It has plenty of room. No pun intended.

I moved towards his desk. It was cleaner than I expected. In the past it was always covered with books or clothes. A small smile came up on my face as I remembered that time. Suddenly something caught my attention under the lamp. I reached out and got what was under the lamp. It was a Polaroid picture. Of me.

Jake took this picture when we went to the local carnival together. It was a picture of my face, I was looking over at something in a distance and a small smile covered my face. I had side buns and glitter across my cheekbones. I remember the day as clear as my empty bank account. I was looking over at an old couple eating cotton candy together. At that moment Jake had taken my hand and given me a small kiss on my cheek. That day was soo fun. It seems as it was soo long ago that it seems unrealistic.

But the Polaroid. I told Jake to give me the picture or destroy it because I looked really weird but he didn't. After that when I asked he told me he lost it so I never thought of it again until today. He had saved this picture and still has it.

"You found this?" A voice startled me from behind. It was Jake. He was standing right behind me. I could feel his breath on the back of my neck.

"I thought you lost it." I said softly still looking at the Polaroid in my hands but very much aware of Jake behind me.

"I can never." He whispered softly. His voice came out deep and husky.

My heart was beating so loudly. I could die of heart attack.

"Can I take this with me?" I asked him.

He hesitated a little but finally gave in. "Yes obviously. Just don't destroy it or throw it away. You look beautiful." At that I turn around and face him. My eyes find his. The way he looked at me took my breath away. "You always do." He continued softly.

"Jake.." I whispered. He can't do this. Not right now, not when things between us are way too fragile.

He gaze was still locked on mine. He stayed there for five more seconds then backed away. His hands were in tight fists.

I wanted him soo badly. I needed him. But I can't. I can't get hurt again. I know it was not his fault , I knew that but there was still that small part of me that was insecure and fearful. I was still not over the Madison thing completely, it still hurt  because I loved him too much. I love him too much.

Jake sat on his bed with his hands in front of him. He was looking down at them.

"Jake listen..." I started to speak up. This was hurtful for him too.

He looked up at me. "It's okay Rissa, I get it okay? I get it. Let's start our practice." His eyes were filled with emotions I can't even begin to decipher.

I nodded.

_________________

Practice was tensed too. Every little touch of his left behind a fire. I just wanted to stay in his arms forever.

He was quiet the whole practice. I wanted to ask him what was going on in head but I didn't.

When we completed the practice I thought that I should probably go home. We both were on the stairs, going downstairs when the front door opened revealing Jake's mother and sister.

"Clary honey. What a pleasant surprise." Grace smiled and came over to give me a brief hug.

"Just came over for some practice." I smiled back.

"Oh good good. Soo glad that you guys are working soo hard." She smiled at both of us.

"Oh well, I think I should get going. It was nice to see you guys." I smiled politely and started to move towards the door when Grace's voice stopped me.

"Oh no, nonsense. Clary, why don't you join us for lunch. It would be great having you and besides I got some thai take out." She gestured at the bags in her hand. "Who wouldn't want that."

I hesitated.

"Come on Clary, no excuses." With that she started to move towards the kitchen. Katja caught hold of my hand and pulled me behind her to the kitchen. Jake followed too.

_________________

Hi guys? How quarantine treating you guys?

Has anyone ever watched The OC? It's great. I am on season 3.