Shadow/Rouge: Even Heroes Need Help Sometimes

Rouge's POV:

"So, do you think we should accept our invitation?" Rouge asked the Commander easily, using her best seductive tone. She sometimes worried she'd lose her touch, stuck in G.U.N. with men she couldn't fluster no matter how diligently she tried.

Well, she amended, glancing over to Shadow and Eclipse, who were reporting the news with her. 'Men.'

"I think it was a kind gesture on the part of the Freedom Fighters, and G.U.N. will be happy to take them up on it," Commander Tower replied, sifting through the pile of papers on his desk and checking something on his computer with a thoughtful expression. "In fact, with all of this stress recently, I think I'll join you," he decided, giving Rouge and crew his attention again, and Eclipse perked up, visibly relieved.

"We could all use a break, huh," Rouge noted, a rare genuine smile spreading across her face. So she couldn't seduce them--they were practically family, anyway.

"Well, that, and I would like to apologize to King Acorn in person for the lack of communication about the Black Arms," Tower replied, and the bat shivered, remembering the King's displeasure at learning about Eclipse.

"I suppose that would be good. Better you than me, though," she admitted shamelessly. "Nigel is terrifying when he wants to be."

"With our error, he had reason to be upset. G.U.N. should take its relationship with the Castle of Acorn more seriously," Commander Tower answered, and the bat could tell he was thinking out loud. The aged man sighed, sounding exhausted, and Rouge gave her Commander a slightly concerned look.

"Well, don't stress too much about it, Abe," she said, feeling a bit worried for him. It wasn't typical for his composure to slip--he must be pushing himself. "Mobians are pretty forgiving, usually."

"Yes, but we shouldn't take advantage of that. It likely won't be a large discussion, though. More of a formal apology so our relations can move forward," Tower replied, seeming to recover slightly. Rouge nodded inwardly--a few days of vacation would be good for the man. "I expect much of the focus will be on Eclipse."

"Heh, don't remind me," Eclipse chuckled a bit nervously, raising an arm to rub the back of his head and drawing a concerned glance from Shadow.

Rouge sighed internally.

Why was everyone requiring so much attention today? She wasn't supposed to be the caring, optimistic teammate.

"Ah, come on, it can't be scarier than calling Shadow petite," Rouge reminded the alien teasingly, trying to lighten his mood, and the dark hedgehog in question rolled his eyes.

"Well, I can't argue there," Eclipse joked in return, grinning. "For such a small person, Shadow packs quite a punch."

"I'm right here, you know," Shadow replied disgruntledly, crossing his arms in apparent annoyance. Rouge smirked, seeing right through his offended exterior--she knew Shadow was pleased to hear Eclipse compliment his strength, even roundaboutly.

"That makes it all the better," the alien said, ducking and giggling at a half-hearted swipe from his half-brother.

Job well done, Rouge thought smugly to herself as Abe waved them out of his office. As a reward for their hard work, she decided her team ought to have the day off; Eclipse was exhausted from his mission, and Shadow...

Well, she was sure Shadow could use a break, too. She always could.

"Why don't we chill for the rest of the day? We can hang in the break room," she said, floating slightly ahead of the other two to address them.