Eclipse: Elucidating Argument

I grit my teeth, flinching slightly as the cold, metal, circular device on two rubber cords presses against my chest. I gather that it is some sort of tool to improve listening, and I do not appreciate it touching me. The intrusion upon my person lasts longer than I anticipated, but the human eventually pulls back.

"I'm getting an echo of some sort," he says, sounding confused.

"That's probably his second heart." I scowl at Shadow's unconcerned monotone, every instinct tensing at it, my very flesh wishing it could strike at him.

He is so...so insufferable! He could have mentioned that earlier, but he did not. It is like he is not even focusing on this. I do not know what is occupying his thoughts, but it sure manages to hold his attention enough! His infernal, distracted nature is only making this ordeal longer. I turn my head slightly to glare at him, but he is already staring down at the floor, gazing off glazedly.

"Second heart..." Mutters the human. "That'd have been nice to know about."

Tell me about it, I reply internally, disgruntled.

"Sure would be nice if I had someone to tell me these things before I ask about them," he continues, sending an obvious angle towards Shadow. I enthusiastically join him, also glaring at the dissatisfying hybrid. "I guess I just find the second one by myself?"

Left lower abdomen, I think, trying to convey the information. Shadow had told me while we were alone before this examination that I was forbidden from talking, but that hardly stops me from trying to speed this excruciating process.

"Maybe I should just x-ray you first," sighs the human. I nod, agreeing, wincing as my shoulder burns sharply. "What do you think?" I frown; I just responded. I nod again, but he doesn't seem to notice. It takes me a few moments, but I eventually realize he's just speaking in soliloquy, not strictly talking to me and certainly not looking for a reply.

Krr...! How annoying. I glare at the human now, too, also angry with him.

"No, Professor Ayers said she wanted to do that personally..." He sighs again, and I whack his tool lightly with my tail. "Hmm?" I put my tail where my lower heart is, knowing Shadow is not paying enough attention to notice.

"What are you doing there, bud?" The human asks condescendingly, and I bristle.

'Bud'? Like I am some inferior, less-intelligent creature than himself? I have to suppress a growl at the thought, thoroughly insulted. How degrading. He obviously has no idea who or what I am, which is very much the fault of a certain brother! I whack the metal thing again, harder this time, then put my tail on my heart for the second time.

"Your heart is there?" He asks, and I nod firmly. His eyes widen in surprise; I think to myself that he is rather slow on the uptake. "Oh. I didn't know you were intelligent. Man, that would have been useful information, right?" He sends a dirty look at Shadow, and I huff, sharing the look.

"Well, alright, then." Finally, with my helpful gestures, he starts making real progress in this preliminary examination.

It is about time this started speeding up, I think dryly, grateful that treatment for my injuries will now be sooner, rather than later. He is in the middle of rectally taking my temperature--an excruciatingly humiliating ordeal for me and one I will never relieve for the sake of dignity--when another human, this one female, comes in.

Of course she would come in when I am hunched over like a chastised dog, I groan, absolutely embarrassed beyond belief. Shadow starts slightly, but he goes right back to daydreaming before he notices my current position, something I am eternally grateful for. The thermometer is removed after a beep, and I immediately sit down, not wanting to ever experience anything like that ever again. The woman walks over, and I get an odd vibe from her; she does not have the usual repulsion, fear, or confusion humans usually get when first encountering me, nor the tired vapidness of the man who examined me. Instead, she seems excited, and I watch her warily.