Chapter 29: Water's Edge

Start from the beginning

You walked inside and found a table near the back. To your surprise, the diner was very popular, and you passed several packed tables to reach the end. Connor slid in first, and you sat opposite him. To your right was a window, where you could see cars passing on the road nearby. Old 80s music played on the stereo, and your mind wandered away.

"This brings back so many memories..." Connor murmured.

"You said your family used to go here," You interrupted, "Did you mean with Mr Anderson and your mother?" You realized that Connor had never told you about his mother before.

"No, I meant with my dad, Amanda and Cain," Connor replied, clasping his arms together on the table. He suddenly looked very serious. "I didn't really get along well with my real mother."

"I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Connor gave you a slight smile. "You know, things weren't always so bad... with my family."

"Then what happened?"

Connor absently traced old marks on the table. "Well... we all grew up."

You nodded. You too could relate to Connor's words. You reached across the table and took his hand. He looked down at your hands held together, and swallowed nervously, before speaking again.

"My real mother didn't seem to like me. When she looked at me... I don't know... it was as if she was seeing someone else." He turned your hand over, and seemingly without thinking, he traced the lines on your hand. "She got along the most with Cole. When he died, she practically disappeared. I haven't seen my mother since."

"Why was she like that?"

"I could never figure it out either..." He murmured, "Maybe it was because I reminded her of Cain, and she had her reasons for disliking him." You looked at Connor in surprise, and Connor gave you a sad smile. "At a time of depression for my father, Amanda led him away. My real mother will never forgive Amanda for that. Therefore, she cannot forgive Cain either. To her, Cain is the child that she was supposed to have. And I... I'm just the one who is stuck in the middle." He squeezed your hand, seemingly coming back to reality.

"You know [F/N], sometimes I don't really know who I am." He looked up at you, still holding your hand. "I don't really belong anywhere. My real mother hates me. My father gets depressed when he sees me. Amanda pretends I don't exist. And my step-brother acts like I'm dirt on his shoe." He paused, closing his eyes. "Just who am I? Why am I here?"

As you gazed at Connor, it looked like he was about to disappear. You squeezed his hand tighter, as if trying to keep him with you. "You're more important to others than you realize Connor. You think your family hates you, but really, you're the one keeping your family together."

"Not true..." He replied, pulling his hand away. "That was Cole."

"Perhaps once..." You continued, "But then it was you... Cole gave that role to you." Connor's eyes snapped open, and he stared at you. His gaze was so intense that it made you blush.

"T-That's not true..." He finally said. "I'm not like Cole at all."

"No, you're not," You agreed, "You're yourself. And that's more important." You gazed absently out the window. "You help your family in your own way. You might not be like Cole, or like Cain, but you have your own important role. You are in your family for a reason, and they need you more than you think." You blushed, looking down at the table. "I-I need you too... we all do..." You looked back up at him. "So don't discredit yourself. Please..."

Connor gazed at you. He leaned closer, and he looked like he was about to say something, when the waitress walked over.

"Are you ready to place your order?"

Connor scowled, turning towards her, and placing your order. What he was about to say remained unsaid.

Your food arrived, and unfortunately the food was uncooked. The staff apologized profusely, but instead of complaining, Connor offered to share his chips with you, which were fortunately cooked and delicious.

You left the diner, and Connor promised to buy you an icecream, since the dinner plans had gone so wrong.

You walked together towards the ice cream shop near the beach, but felt your heart sink to see it was closed. Connor frustratedly glared at the closed sign, as if staring at it for long enough would make it change.

"I'm sorry [F/N]..." He finally said, slumping against the wall of the building. "It seems like none of this is going right."

You smiled at him. "It's alright. I had fun anyway."

He gave you a slight smile, but he seemed embarrassed. You wanted him to feel happy too. You looked around, and noticed that in the quiet, you could hear the sound of the waves. The beach was across the road, and was always open.

"Why don't we go and look at the beach?" You asked, and Connor looked away sheepishly. "Come on... the ocean might be uncooked, but it's never closed." That made Connor laugh slightly.

You took Connor's hand and led him towards the beach. As you walked closer to it, Connor took the lead. You both removed your shoes and walked along the sand together. This time, something was definitely different between you both. You gazed at Connor, and could see yourself reflected in his eyes.

"You know... I never really liked the beach," Connor murmured as he watched the waves roll in. "I have Cain to thank for that." He turned his head, looking at you. The evening light cast a slight glow over his face. He reached forward, touching your cheek. "But you know... maybe we can make new memories. Maybe this time, we can start again."

You smiled, but you could not reply. You were too distracted by Connor's gaze; The way he watched you; The feeling of his hand gently stroking your jaw. Instinctively you leaned towards Connor. As you did, he leaned down, meeting your lips.

As the sun faded in the sky, you kissed Connor. It was as if the rest of the world faded along with it, and all you could see and feel was him.