Chapter 5: It's A Date

Ever since your confrontation with North, you had been in a daze. Your mind kept wandering back to the time of the past, the times when you were a dancer and someone who stayed in the spotlight. There were so many things you missed about that time, and also so many things you wished you could change.

You continued to wander aimlessly up the hallway. Before you could get too far however, you felt an arm grip yours and spin you around. You blinked dizzily as Kara's blueish green eyes bore into you.

"Aren't you coming to lunch [F/N]?"

"Lunch?" You stood up straighter, realizing that you were standing in the middle of the crowded school hallway. Kara let out a sigh, grabbing your hand and tugging you down the corridor.

"Luther and I missed you yesterday. We waited for you, but you didn't show."

"I'm sorry Kara," You moved faster, so you could walk beside her squeezing her hand in your own. "Some things happened, that's all."

"Things?" Kara blinked, then a grin spread across her face. "Ohhh... you're talking about Connor, aren't you?"

"What, n-no, I--"

"I saw the way you were looking at him in science class. You were so distracted, you didn't even see who I got paired up with." She grimaced slightly, but still kept her cheery grin she always seemed to have.

"Who was it?"

"Well... it was--"

"Kara!! My friend!!"

Kara flinched, and you both wheeled around to see a very excited Ralph racing towards you. His white shirt was stained with what seemed to be spaghetti, and his blonde hair brushed gently against his forehead. You stumbled back a step as he got in between you and pulled Kara's hand from yours.

"Ralph made a great discovery!! Ralph figured out that with the quantic technology science has currently discovered, humans could create an intelligent life force. Look, look, I wrote about it in my book!!" Ralph shoved a textbook into Kara's face, with a grin spread across his face like an excited child.

"That's great Ralph..." Kara shoved the book away and gave you a pointed look. Ralph gripped Kara's hand again and tugged on it.

"Come, come on, I want to show you my discovery!!"

"Ralph, w-we were just about to go to lunch," You interjected. Ralph turned on you, and you winced at the sudden rage shown on his face.

"Who are you?"

"I-I'm [F/N]... new in your class. We met before, remember?"

"Ralph doesn't like strangers, no, strangers may hurt Ralph," He continued to tug on Kara's arm. "Besides, if Kara is hungry, Kara can share Ralph's lunch. Ralph brought spaghetti."

"[F/N], I--" Kara tried to speak, but Ralph tugged on her arm sharply and she let out a hiss. You watched helplessly as he practically dragged Kara down the hallway. Kara gave you a sad look as she was pulled around the corner.

You sighed, crouching down to pick up some of her papers that had fallen onto the ground when she got dragged away. You shoved the pages into your bag, making a mental note to return them to Kara later.

You headed to the cafeteria alone, but after seeing the packed state of it, you couldn't bear the thought of walking inside. You stood in the doorway, gazing at the faces of all the other students. They were so happy; speaking to each other seemingly without a care in the world. You would give anything to be like that.

After those thoughts, your stomach was churning too much to even consider eating. You decided to take a walk outside, to clear your head and calm your troubled thoughts. As you walked around the field outside, you spotted a group of boys running. You stood by the track for a while, breathing in the smell of freshly cut grass. It looked tiring, but none of the boys seemed exhausted in the least. You wondered if they were training for some kind of marathon.