Chapter 23: Christmas

After months of no activity from Swipe or his minions, everyone made the assumption that they had won. Now that you have no adversaries to worry about, you were able to get most of your projects done in time for the holidays. Meggy told you some things about Christmas, but she wanted to show you herself.

Meggy and Desti were at the store, trying to find presents for their boyfriends.

Desti: So what are you getting Y/n?

Meggy: I don't know. He doesn't really tell me exactly what he likes. When I asked him what he wanted most, he just said that being with me would be his greatest present.

Desti: That's sweet. Devin said the same thing. Hold up, doesn't Y/n like books and music?

Meggy: Oh yeah... he does like to play some music and read when we're not-

Desti: Making out?~

Meggy blushes and stares at Desti.

Meggy: You know we do more than that.

Desti: Oh~ I gotcha!

Meggy: You know what I mean! What about Devin?

Desti: Like I said, he said that all he wants to do is spend the day with me. I thought about getting him a new jacket since the one he has now is ripped beyond repair from all his fights. But that's just lame.

Meggy: Yeah, I get what you mean.

Desti: I just want to show him my appreciation for all he's done. And how much he means to me.

Meggy: I know how you feel. Y/n, he...

Desti: What?

Meggy: Y/n once had the same ability as you. And his SOUL was Determination. He was the one before you, that's how Devin knew how to get you past everything.

Desti: So how did he become the way he is now?

Meggy: At first, he did the same motions you did. Went through the Underground and tried to find a peaceful way out. Well, at some point he grew a crush on me. At the time, Mario and I were dating and so he wanted to find a time line where he saves SMG4, and where Mario and I weren't dating.

Desti: What happened?

Meggy: He kept resetting, making me re-live those days over and over again. Of course he didn't know, but i was getting angry. But at some point, he started killing everyone. I thought he was just doing this for fun, but he told me that Devin was the one doing it, back when he was taking his anger out on everyone. Then he...

Desti: He what?

Meggy began to tear up, remembering that day.

Meggy: He gained complete control over his body again. But he was worried that Devin would take over, so he told me to kill him one last time. He confessed, then told me to live my life happily. Telling me to kill him... or he'd do it himself. And he did. I watched as he stabbed himself to death. Three times, and his body started fading away, then he swung at his shattering SOUL, destroying it entirely.

She almost broke down, but managed to compose herself.

Meggy: But then the next time line, I waited for months on end for Y/n to show up, but he never did. Instead you came through those doors. Now all this happened, so Desti I beg of you... no matter what happens, don't do a reset.

Desti: I promise. I won't.

Meggy: Thank you. Now, let's go get their presents!

Desti: Yeah!

~~~~~

As the morning of Christmas came Meggy got up to grab her gifts for you and wrap them. A few hours later everyone wakes up and gets everything ready for the Christmas party. As the day went on, Meggy showed you what Christmas was about. You helped Bowser make dinner for tonight and helped Peach with decorations. As night fell, everyone sat around the main room, cups of hot chocolate in hand. As everyone handed the presents around, Meggy came to you.

Meggy: Here you go Y/n!

You take the items from her and unwrap them. You were surprised to see that she had gotten you new books, and a few tracks of your favorite music.

Y/n: Wow... thank you Meggy! Um... Mario told me about your old dreams of something called Splatfest, so I went to Inkopolis and got you this.

She takes the item and unwraps it. Her eyes widened as she took out a Splattershot Pro X, one of the most powerful and expensive of the Splattershots.

Meggy: How did you get this?!

She looked up to see your eyes flash blue and orange.

Y/n: I have my connections.

She sets the weapon down and pulls you into a bone crushing hug. With Desti and Devin, he got her something of the same, only hers was a blaster.

Devin: I remember our trip to Inkopolis and how good you were. So imagine if both you and Meggy were on the same team with X tier weapons.

Desti: Thank you! I always wanted one of these when I was young! So Devin... I got your present waiting for you in our room. Wait a few minutes and I'll send a message when it's ready.

She gets up and goes to the room, leaving Devin to wonder what the present is.

Y/n: You went shopping with her, what she get?

Meggy: Oh... something they'll both enjoy.

She leans in and whispers in your ear. You blush and look away.

Y/n: Oh... gotcha.

Meggy: She couldn't think of anything else, and she wants to show him her love and appreciation. Hey... maybe one day, we can do that.

You blush even harder and shake those thoughts out of your head.

Meggy: You were totally thinking about it weren't you?!

She laughs as you try to stutter out a response.

Y/n: No, I wasn't!

Meggy: You're so cute when your flustered. Come on, I'm only teasing!

You playfully ignore her, causing her to pout. She hugs you from behind.

Meggy: Come on...! Lighten up!

You can't keep your act up and turn around, giving Meggy a kiss.

Meggy: Merry Christmas Y/n.

Y/n: Merry Christmas Meggy. Thank you.