Ain't It Fun

Shailene POV

I run. Run till my lungs burn. Even then I keep going.

"Shai," Ansel laughs. "Where are you going?"

He's falling behind. I'm surprised, he has so much energy when it comes to his Ansolo shows yet he's tired after ten minutes of running.

I run up a set of stairs and push open a door at the top. We're on the rooftop of the apartment block where we live. I run to the edge, gathering enough strength and leap.

I land with a thud on the concrete of the next roof. I stop and look over my shoulder where

Ansel stands at the edge of the roof where I just jumped.

"Come on," I sigh. "Its easy. Don't think, just jump. Now try again."

Nervously, he walks back, and sprints to the edge. He squeezes his eyes shut and jumps, landing on two feet, then his knees give way but he's laughing.

"See. Easy."

"Right," he laughs, getting up, "because jumping from roof to roof is easy. But I do admit, it was fun." He pauses, watching me. "In a life threatening sort of way."

At this I too laugh.

He walks up to me, catching his breath, and leans in to kiss me, but I turn my head, teasing him. This doesn't stop Ansel. He presses his lips to my neck. I sigh.

I push his face up to mine and kiss him.

**************************

"Race you home," I shout. I sprint down the stairs and into the street. I hear him coming close behind me but I don't slow. I push harder.

As I run, a song lyric from Paramore comes to my mind and it makes me gain enough strength to keep going. I smile as I play the same line over and over. Ain't it fun living in the real world.

I guess it is when Ansel Elgort is your husband.

I turn and see Ansel on the ground. "Ansel?" I shout. He doesn't move.

I run up to him and see blood on the left side of his face, were he hit the concrete.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit," I mutter under my breath.

His eyes open slowly.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry."

I pushed him too hard and now... shit.

He grabs my hand. And squeezes.

"Its okay," he says. I help him to his feet and we walk slowly back to our apartment.

**************************

I wipe the face cloth softly against Ansel's blood stained cheek. He winces and I pull back.

"No, its fine," he says. He guides my hand back to his face, without the cloth this time, and pulls my waist into him.

My hand remains on his face.

"I love you," he whispers.

"I love you too," I whisper back.

I press my mouth to his and we are one.