Let me in

Ansel POV

I've been sitting here all night and all morning, its 4:38pm and Shai hasn't left her room, not even to get food.

What happened with Violetta was a big stupid freaking mess. She had no right to kiss me and then blame it on me. She knew perfectly well that we were over and that I wasn't interested. I stifle another cry, why is life so screwed up? I hear a ruffle of bed sheets and footsteps. Shailene's pacing again.

I press my head into the door and sigh, "Shailene, please, I swear to god, I would never cheat on you. Please you can trust me."

I hear Shailene's footsteps getting closer to the door.

"Why should I believe you? We haven't been together long, maybe Violetta was right, maybe you were testing what it would be like to be with me," Shai says, her words cold and sharp.

I turn on my knees and face the door. "No, no, no, no, no, never," I say. "Please just unlock the door so I can come in and tell you everything."

"Can't you do that without coming into my room?" she says, her voice cracking.

"Shailene, please," I say, tears springing to my eyes.

I hear a snip of the lock and I get up, trying the door. It opens and I see Shailene standing there, her eyes red from crying, her face wet and her hair sticking out at odd angles. Within the first second of seeing my face, she starts crying again and her posture is gone. She falls to her knees and her shoulders shake rapidly. I don't know what to do, whether to comfort her or leave her alone, I don't know which she would prefer.

"Hey, Shai, come here," I say, picking her up and sitting with her on the couch.

I sit on the end and she lies with her head in my lap, she doesn't stop crying. I stroke her hair and try to comfort her. "Were you telling me the truth?" she asks, her voice quivering.

"I dumped Violetta, I'm dating you, there's no reason for me to want to get with her," I say. She nods.

"And the phone call?"

"I was telling the truth, I called you but as soon as I did Violetta hung up."

"Okay. Please Ansel, promise me, no cheating, or else next time we truly are going to be over," she says. Shai turns and looks up at me. I nod and smile a bit.

"Of course," I agree.

We stay on the couch until Shailene falls asleep then I take her over to her bed. I lie down next her and fall asleep soon enough myself.

********************

In the morning I wake up and Shai is up already. She's dressed and is by the door by the time I sit up. She looks a lot better than she did yesterday.

"Ah, he lives," she says smiling which makes me smile. "I was going down to get something to eat, care to join me?"

I shake my head and flop back down on her bed. She laughs and opens the door.

"I'll bring you something then?"

I nod.

"Okay."

"Okay."

After Shailene leaves I get up and walk across to my room to put on a change of clothes and take a shower. I'm interrupted when there's a knock on my door.

"Coming," I yell. I pull a gray top over my head and open the door.

I do a double-take when I see who it is. Violetta.

"What do you want?" I say scowling.

"I'm here to finish what we started last night," V replies. She pushes me inside and touches her lips to mine. I shove her off.

"No, I'm with Shailene."

"You surely can't love her can you, she's a worthless piece of trash, how can you love her," she spits.

"I loved you didn't I?" I say smirking.

With that Violetta leaves, slamming the door shut behind her. I sigh and fall back on the bed. I wait a few minutes till Shai returns with breakfast.