Chapter 2

The lightning kept randomly flashing anytime Felix would speak. Someone woke up on the wrong side of Mount Olympus today, I thought. It was getting a bit irritating, because every time I opened my mouth to speak, the thunder would interject. I kind of had the urge to grab one of those lightning bolts and throw it back in his direction.

Felix must have sensed something was off, because he leaned down so his mouth was by my ear and whispered, “It will just take him some time to accept this. He will. Just give him time, Karliah.”

I felt a pang of guilt deep in my stomach which made me pull away from him. I immediately regretted it, because the cold air danced around me, piercing through my jacket; betraying me.

“Are you sure about this?” I averted my eyes.

“I have never been more sure of something since they declared me Hades as soon as Kronos coughed me up.” He held back a laugh.

I lightly punched his arm. “It’s not funny.” I lied.

“Okay, I find very little things to be funny, but that in fact was.” He pointed out.

I rolled my eyes and got up. “Come on.” I held out my hand.

Felix grabbed it without hesitating. “Where are we going? Class does not start for thirty more minutes.”

“I want to go get a Starbucks.” I half-laughed.

“What is with everyone and coffee these days?” Felix sighed.

“Uh, hello? It’s magical.” I headed for the break in the fence that the school never fixed.

If you go through the fence and then walk about a half a mile through the field, there is a Starbucks right there. Serenity and I used to go all of the time last year during lunch, but not anymore, because she’s convinced it will do something to the baby. The teachers don’t allow anyone to leave campus, but really, who cares?

Felix and I walked hand-in-hand through the door to Starbucks after making the short walk across the field.

“Whatever happened to the coffee press?” He mumbled.

“It died along with everyone’s patience.” I smirked. “Now we have the Keurig and Starbucks. Welcome to the future.”

“Of what? Laziness and diabetes?” He looked around Starbucks with a slightly disgusted look.

“That’s horrible!” I whispered, trying to ignore the burning stares of two women sitting near the door.

I walked up to the counter and was hit by the strong aroma of coffee. After I ordered and received my Grande iced vanilla macchiato, Felix and I left.

“You paid four dollars for that? I pay less money to feed Cerberus.”

“Um, hyperbole much? Your dog has three heads.” I put my hand on my hip.

“And that is only three percent coffee.” He pointed at my cup.

“Oh, shut up.” I bumped into him, laughing.

            We walked back to our school and I disposed of the evidence.

“We should probably go get our backpacks out of independent studies.” I suggested, my Vans sounding like blocks hitting the sidewalk.

“You are probably right. Although, if that young man touches you again, don’t be surprised if his world fades to black.” He paused. “And burns.”

“What are you gonna do? Feed him to the titans?” I raised my eyebrows at him.

The ground shook slightly, but I’m almost certain that we were the only ones that felt it.