Parts of him were worried that she would say no to him, even with their baby on the way, but every time she smiled at him he couldn't help but feel like he had the world in his hands, and that he could do anything

"We're going to start out with the girls, this year," Valynn hummed cheerily as she all but skipped over to the bowl on stage left. That drew him out of his thoughts, and he forced the happy expression off of his face.

Eden caught Flora's gaze from across the crowd and couldn't help the close-lipped smile he sent her way. I love you, he mouthed clearly, fighting his widening smile when she returned the image and phrase.

I love you more.

"Flora Flint."

For a moment, the name didn't even register. It wasn't until the boys crowding around him all turned to see his reaction did his stomach drop and entire body run cold.

No.

Flora was staring up at Valynn in mild surprise, like it hadn't quite set in for her either.

No.

Hands clenched tightly into fists at his sides, the strong urge to throw up overtook him.

No.

His knees knocked together and his hands began to shake as he watched her walk up to the stage, and Valynn let out a shocked gasp upon seeing her predicament, then made a comment about how she wasn't sure what the rules were on a pregnant tribute.

I can't even volunteer for her.

I can't save her.

No.

I can.

Eden found that his mind had been made up before he knew it had, and the moment Valynn had finished saying the male tributes name his hand was rising in the air lips were moving.

"I volunteer as tribute."

His voice rang loud and clear through the town square, and he more gasps and murmurs rose over the slight ringing in his ears at the realization to what he'd just done set in. He could've sworn he heard Eve cry out for him, but he couldn't bring himself to worry about that.

Not yet.

All tributes were given the chance to say good bye to their families, he'd talk to her then.

His legs moved on their own accord, bringing him out of the section and into the open where the cameras did a closeup on him, displaying his freckled face on the screens behind the stage. He could see Flora staring at him, horrified and sad, but he couldn't even bring himself to regret his decision.

Because Flora was going to make it home; Eden would make sure of it.

He walked calmly away from his age grouping, away from his district, and up onto the stage where he would undoubtedly become a pawn of the Capitol. But if Flora survived, then it would all be worth it.

"Goodness!" Valynn gasped dramatically, almost dancing over to where he stopped. "A Volunteer! And what's your name?"

He flinched back as a microphone was thrust into his face with so much energy it almost hit him square in the mouth. "Um, Eden Koyle."

Flora was still watching him sadly, a hand resting on her belly. From where he was standing, he could see Eve clutching to a crushed-looking Gramps' arm, tears streaming down her cheeks and it made his heart hurt. But they would just have to get used to him not being around.

After repeating their names for the sake of the crowd, she ordered them both to shake hands but instead, Eden just pulled Flora into his arms and let her cry into his chest. "You'll be okay," he murmured into her hair after kissing the top of her head. "You're coming home. I'll make sure of it."