Devotedly Daisy- Chapter One

Devotedly Daisy

Chapter one

1918

~~

Daisy Wade instinctively dropped to her stomach as a loud plane flew overhead, her white apron now covered in mud. She slowly raised her head noticing another nurse nearby doing the same. Once it was quiet and no planes could be heard she slowly rose to her feet, she was serving at a British army base hospital very close to the Western front.

She had only been at this base for a week and found herself very worried an airstrike would hit them. But this is what she had signed up for. She had joined the American red cross to do her part and care for wounded, this was why she became a nurse. to help others. She had been working all night to tend to the wounded and she felt the pain in her back from the nearly twelve hours she had stayed.

"Daisy," Ermalee Powell one of the other nurses said as she walked up behind her "did you hear the news?"

In a such a short time of knowing Ermalee, she had grown very close to her. they usually worked the same shifts and their cots were next to each other.

"No," Daisy replied "I don't believe I've heard anything as of late"

"We're getting a new Colonel, and the news is he's rather handsome!" Ermalee said with a giggle.

Daisy had given up on love long ago. she had many dates that never went well, and many boyfriends who never stuck around. All her siblings were married and happy and though that had once been a dream of hers she realized her calling was elsewhere. she would make a real difference here with her work, something she couldn't do if she was married. she didn't think she would have even gone to nursing school had she gotten hitched.

"Well Ermalee, I thought you liked the Captain" Daisy teased, Ermalee indeed enjoyed flirting and dating. she had a charisma that Daisy never would.

Ermalee's brown eyes darkened "I did very much... but I found out the Captain has a missus waiting for him at home."

Daisy's eyes grew wide "Erma!"

"Well I didn't know he had a wife, or I never would accept such advances." Ermalee said as she followed Daisy into their tent.

Daisy laughed. at least she wasn't married to a man who would take interest in another woman. But really, she blamed her parents for having dreams of being married. they had been married for forty-four years and still acted like newlyweds. their relationship was deep and meaningful, and it was the reason Daisy felt she wanted that too.

She felt fatigue take her, but she fought long enough to change into her night clothes, as soon as her head it the lumpy pillow she was asleep. She knew she would only get six hours of shut eye if she was lucky and then she would be on the day shift.

~~ ~~

Major Colton McCall made his way to the base hospital he wanted to check on his best friend Major Harry Wieland who had been injured earlier in the week, he didn't think it was serious enough for Harry to be sent home, but he wanted to be sure. He made his way tent that housed one of three make shift hospitals on the base. The white beds lined up on either side of him providing a small isle in the middle for him to walk at the foot of the beds.

He made his way to the end of the tent where a nurse sat at the bedside of Harry, he laughed at something she said while Colton noticed just how blond the girl's hair was. he cleared his throat to get their attention and familiar dark blue eyes met his gaze.

"You?" both Daisy and Colton said at once- both had recognized the other once they saw one another face to face. He cleared his throat again and looked at the woman who he had been set up with all those years ago. Daisy stood before him just as shocked as he was, although he had to admit she was still beautiful- four years had passed and she looked just the same, her blond hair was peeking out from under her white nurses cap she wore atop her head.

She wore the normal nurse's uniform- not at all something one would think as attractive however it seemed to hug her body in all the right places; The skirt stopped at her ankles showing off her small boots. She bit her lip revealing dip dimples on either side of her mouth as she did so.

He looked to Harry who seemed to be enjoying the show as he looked from Daisy to Colton.

She noticed his uniform then and something flashed across her eyes before she turned her attention back to Harry.

"Major Wieland was there anything I could do for you?" she asked kindly.

"No Nurse. Thank you." He replied before giving Colton a look of astonishment. He waited until Daisy was out of ear range before saying "Tell me everything!"

Colt laughed "Nothing to tell... I was set up with her back when I was in the city and nothing came of it."

Harry narrowed dark green eyes "I highly doubt that. She's a goddess"

Colton was surprised to see her here of all places. Perhaps it was a small world. But still he knew after the awful date the two of them had had there was no hope for ever having a future. They just didn't mesh well together.

Although... a lot of things could change in four years...

He shook his head and turned his attention back to his friend. He listened to him as he told him that he would be cleared by the hospital in nearly two days according to the last Doctor he had spoken to.

He then watched Daisy as she walked by to help another solider nearby who had called out to her. he didn't remember her being so attractive but perhaps he better appreciated things, or perhaps it had been awhile since he saw such an attractive female. Sure, some of the other nurses were cute but Daisy was... well she was a Woman and practically could pass as a movie star with her classic looks.

"Colt?" Harry said with a laugh "Mind elsewhere?"

If he could blush at that moment he probably would have. He was attracted to her to be sure, but he made himself know it was only because she reminded him of home. he had been here for nearly a year now after all he was sure to get home sick.

"No" he assured Harry "Nope not at all..."

He left shortly after nearly running over Daisy in the process.

"Major" she said giving him a look as he bumped into her.

"Nurse" he said gruffly noticing just how nice she smelt.

He left in a hurry and wondered what on earth had just washed over him? he was a bumbling fool! He needed to watch himself! He needed to stay as far away from Daisy Wade as he could. Nothing good could come of this, he told himself as he tried to forget ever seeing her or her beautiful dark Blue eyes.

Christ! He cursed under his breath, surely a silly woman couldn't have this effect on him.

Authors note!

Hey everyone! Sorry I am horrible with updates haha I am super excited for this new version of Devotedly Daisy and I cannot wait to write more! Tell me what you think of it. Also Ermalee was inspired when I was looking at my Grandma's yearbook from the 1950s and Ermalee was her best friend all 4 years of High school! Pronounced URM-UH-LEE

XX