Chapter 3

Flying home, I didn’t know how I was going to tell Cylak about this. He’d be so angry, but he’d at least try to help. But he really doesn’t want to live at Riveredge, and we don’t want to rule. I know we’ll find some way around this. Everything would turn out all right.

I just had to tell him the truth, right?

I flew home as fast as I could, waving to a couple people I past. I was only gone a half hour, maybe an hour at most. I landed on the porch right in front of the front door, and I slowly took in a breath, closed my eyes, and calmed myself. He would understand.

I reached out for the doorknob and turned it slowly, stepping inside and slowly closing it behind me. It was strangely quiet which confused me, usually it’s never quiet. I looked around some, peered into some rooms, and found the kitchen spotless. I smiled as I stepped back quietly, turning around and looking into my bedroom. First thing I see is Cylak, crashed out on the bed, dead asleep.

“Finally.” I muttered as I was shutting the door, but it creaked loudly and Cylak stirred, but his eyes blinked open.

“Hey, you’re back.” Cylak yawned as he stood up and approached me. “What did Aaron want?”

“Ugh, you won’t believe what the hell is going on right now.” I was on the verge of the shaky, crying voice, but not quite there yet. In an instant his lips were on mine, and I felt safe and I could tell him anything. He wouldn’t care, right?

“Try me.” He breathed, and I wrapped my arms around his neck and the tears started streaming. I couldn’t help it, what was going on right now sucked. I knew he’d be there for me.

“Everything. Everything bad happened today.” I sobbed as he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer.

“Okay, I’ve a lot of questions, but why are you all wet?” He asked out of nowhere, but then I remembered the little fight on the balcony.

“My Dad completely soaked me, but the fight was between Aaron and I. I’m totally screwed unless Aaron can find a wife in less than seven months.” I replied, waiting for his reaction.

He pulled me closer, which I thought wasn’t possible. “Is it the whole sacred law thing?” He asked, and I was shocked he knew what that meant. I loosened my grip on him, and he loosened his on me.

“How did you know about that?” I asked, breaking our embrace. “I thought it was only a royalty thing.”

“Please tell me you remember who I married.” He asked with a laugh, but I didn’t find it funny. He awkwardly stopped and took my hands. “What are you saying, though? That they’re going to force you to rule?”

“Yes!” I shrieked and cried, jerking from the hands and putting them up against my face. “I don’t know what to do, I think I’m just going to have to trust Aaron on this one.”

“Are you sure he doesn’t need help? I mean, this is Aaron we’re talking about.” He laughed, but again, I was just not in the laughing mood. “Well what do you want me to say, Calia?”

“Cylak, I don’t know what to do. Should I go to the other worlds and see if I can find someone for him? Or should I wait for him to find someone?”

He stopped for a moment in thought, trying to find some answer. His eyes brightened, and he snapped his fingers in my direction. “We’ll all go.”

“What?” I asked, confused at his decision. “What do you mean?”

“Well, Nessa sorta wants to go meet some other creature because she’s somehow so fond of them.” Cylak answered, but continued. “And there are other worlds, but I think we should cross a couple off the list.”