Chapter 7

I stepped onto the sidewalk, realizing what I’d just done. I didn’t like leaving Cylak like that. I don’t know what’s wrong with me anymore. The stress was really starting to get to me, which is weird cause I’ve only been here for about three days. I just wish everything would go away. I wish I never got the college request, I wish I never had to become Queen, I wish a lot of things that just can’t come true. I walked down the busy highway down to a smaller street, hoping to find something I recognize so I can go crash at Nicole’s.

~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t know how long I trudged on the rocky ground, but eventually I made it to Ridgeland. I don’t know how I ended up there, but I at least knew where I was. I quickened my pace as I remembered the way to Nicole’s, hoping she’d let me stay there for a couple nights.

I approached the white wooden door, knocking on it repeatedly. Nicole swung it open, smiling as she led me inside.

“Hey Calia!” She greeted as she dragged me up to her room. “Wow, you look like you had a long day.” She stated, eyeing my clothes and the dark circles I had under my eyes.

“Don’t even get me started on today.” I warned as I landed on her bed, and I wanted to crash right there. I yawned as I closed my eyes, and if she stopped talking, I probably could crash.

“Where’s your husband? Shouldn’t he be here to watch you?” She asked, and I shook my head while facing down on the bed.

“No, we just keep fighting and I hate it!” I burst out sobbing, shooting up and wrapping my arms around my legs and throwing my head into my knees. “I can’t stand it, Nicole, and I have no idea what to do.”

“Just stay as long as you want.” She rubbed my back as I sobbed for what felt like forever, but I had to pull myself together at some point. It just wasn’t now.

“Thanks.” I finally managed to stay. “But I honestly can’t give you a timeframe on that.”

“Doesn’t matter. You can stay here as long as you want until you get back on your feet.” Nicole gave me a thumbs up and a really cheesy smile. “Or until what’s-his-name calls and apologizes for whatever he did to you.” She paused, and I was ready to speak, but she continued anyway. “What did he do to you?”

“I don’t think it was his fault this time.” I admitted, rubbing the back of my neck nervously. “I think I’m the one who really screwed up this time.”

“Why? What’d you say?” She asked me, scooting closer and getting into my personal space. “Tell me everything, and I can tell you who’s fault it is.”

“I don’t know, I told him I needed space…” I replied, and she gasped and shook her head shamefully. “What? Was that wrong?” I asked, thinking of how it could be, but I couldn’t find a way.

“You never tell a guy that.” She whispered, eyes widening. “That’s sure to end badly. You have to go and say sorry.” She ordered, but she didn’t understand faeries or anything. She didn’t know how hard that would’ve been.

I sat up slowly, looking into my best friend’s eyes. Yeah, I trusted her so much. It was time for her to know.

I took off the necklace from around my neck and placed it in my hand. “You want to see something cool?”

She glanced at my necklace, rubbing the top of it with her thumb. “I always wanna see something cool.” She smiled, eyeing the necklace, her eyes lighting up at it.

I flipped it open, showing her the screened surface. “Say any name.”

“What?” She asked me stupidly, and I gave her an unimpressed look back. She can be such a blonde.