Part 6: Kisses

It's been three days since I've seen Don. The whole weekend has just been partying and getting drunk with the girls. I feel like I'm finally starting to get some power back. People were talking about how I was soft ever since the summer but now I'm partying harder than ever and telling off whoever I want. I got to go shopping with some of my saved up allowance. new cloths, new makeup, new hair products, people are starting to treat me the way they used to.

I sit in my math class texting whoever I please when Don sits down right next to me. I glance at her, look her up and down, roll my eyes, and look back at my phone. Don looks frustrated but I just pretend she's not there. Her whole power thing is scary but it's also so refreshing to be my old self again, not my weak self who pitied Don.

After awhile I feel Dons hands brush across mine. Everything freezes but it's not Don. My breath hitches and my heart stops in my chest. I come back to my senses and whip my hand away. I'm not letting her and her fucked up powers confuse me again. Don turns to me with pleading eyes. I still stare at my phone and text Rachel. Rachel can go on and on about nothing so I don't have to worry about acknowledging Don anytime soon.

At the end of class I walk out the door but instead of seeing the familiar hallway, I see the bathroom... well more of Don pinning me against a wall but still in a bathroom. My head fills with fury and panic as I stare right at Don.
"why didn't you pick up my calls." She asks in a low voice. Her knee holds me in place when I try to squirm.
"Don! What the fuck!" I yell. She shushes me.
"I was worried about you." Don says relaxing enough for me to get out of her grasp. I run toward the door but she holds my arm, not in a painful way but still in a strong way. I turn to her with absolute rage.
"Don!" I yell. She just stares at me. I stare at her back for awhile before finally speaking, I know how to cut anyone down with my words and I'm not going to hold back.
"I didn't call back because you're a freak. You're strange and even without the powers you just act fucking weird. I don't know why your old school and your ex are such uncomfortable topics but whatever happened I'm sure you deserved it you shit bag." I say. I never stuttered, never paused, just focused on where I could hurt her most. Dons eyes soften for a moment then go back to clouding everything away.
"I never wanted this!" Her voice cracks, "I never wanted to be a freak, I never wanted to put you in danger, I never wanted to be kicked out of my old school, and I never wanted for... I never wanted my girlfriend to die!" She screams at me. I stand in shock. Big and tough Don never loses her shit, she never screams, and she especially would never bring up her ex girlfriend. Suddenly Don is gone. Fuck.

I rush out of the school. She could be anywhere, and I mean anywhere. I run down the parking lot ignoring the looks of some of the kids who have a free block. Fuck, fuck, fuck. I don't know why I did that, I don't know why I fucked it up. No, I do know why. I'm fucking scared of Don, not because of her powers or the church but she confuses me. All my life I have been straight and Don just came along and messed it all up.

I take a sharp turn and see Don resting her head on her steering wheel in her car. Fuck I messed up. I lightly knock on her passenger window. Don looks up and her face turns to disgust. I open the door as Don tries to lock it but she's too late. I hop into the passengers seat, I know if she wants me out then she could easily skip time and leave me on a fucking desert island but I want to try to make things better.
"Get... out..." Don commands.
"No." I tell her.
"I thought you were scared of me." She snaps. I'm left without a reply. "Exactly." She turns to me and opens her mouth to argue but I close the gap between us. I push my lips against hers and pull her close to me. At first she nearly pulls away but for a few seconds she starts to kiss back. I feel like I'm floating and I feel my entire body heat up like a flare. I guess Don remembers what's happening because as quick as it started, she pulls away.
"What the hell was that!" She whispers. I just stare at her lips, I kissed a girl, I kissed a girl, I kissed a girl! It's like nothing I've ever felt. It feels like everything lit up inside me. I look up to Dons eyes and she just stares back into mine bewildered. "I thought you were straight." She finally says.
"...me too." I reply. Don stares at me for a few more moments. I brush my hand against hers while it rests on the armrest. Dons hand slowly grasps mine as she traces my face for every clue she can. My phone starts to ring and I look down at my purse. I turn away from Don and pick up the phone. Don leans back in her chair and puts her hands over her face.