Sixteen|| Buildup

Start from the beginning

"Plus, there are more people there." I added.

"Are you happy, here?" Tristan asked as we walked through the foyer entry. "With me?"

I stopped, turning to look up at him. I cupped his cheek in my hand, smiling softly. "Just because my people are at Haven doesn't mean I don't feel at home here too. They're my people too." I told him. "Just like the Gifted are yours."

"But they're your family-"

"You are my family too, Tristan." I said firmly, staring into his dark eyes. He smiled, leaning down and pressing a loving kiss to my lips.

Someone cleared their throat with attitude behind us, and Tristan paused.

"Hey Tristan," a girl's voice said with attitude.

Tristan squeezed his eyes shut, irritation in his face, but he turned either way.

"Stephanie," He greeted the blonde coldly. She was in a dress like most royals, her makeup plastered on her face.

"Just came to say hello to the new Queen," I stiffened at her tone. I didn't like her tone. It was disrespectful, haughty, and mocking. "You know, considering some of us weren't sure if you even existed." She added, and I felt my wolf rise up in anger.

"Stephanie," Tristan growled out warningly, but I put my hand on his chest.

Let her speak her mind. I want to know what she has to say. I linked him and he reluctantly took a step back.

I stepped forward, offering my hand to shake. "Ariel." I said. She didn't shake my hand, and I didn't move it. A crowd was beginning to gather.

"I'm offering you my hand to shake. The polite, royal thing to do would be to shake my hand." I said firmly, not letting her scare me down.

Sorry, brat. I don't scare that easily.

"And what would you know about royals? And I'm sorry, I don't want to shake your hand. I don't want to catch something." She said with a sneer.

Tristan growled, but I crossed my arms over my chest.

"And why would you catch something, Stephanie? What kind of 'disease' do you think I have?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Ariel is our Queen," a man stepped forward, his face dark with anger. "You will respect her like you respect our King."

"And what has she done to earn our respect? You've spent all of your time with your kind," the blonde said to me, her ice blue eyes filled with hatred. "She's not even a full wolf!" She called to the crowd. "She's a freak," She got in my face, lowering her tone. "An abomination."

Tristan snarled, his eyes flashing gold. The air was thick with tension, the people fearful of his reaction.

Enough. I can stand up for myself. Put aside your testosterone and let me handle this. I linked him firmly, and his growls subsided, his eyes remaining gold and filled with fury.

I turned back to Stephanie, and my eyes shone gold. "I'm pretty sure that I am a werewolf, same as you." I said calmly.

She didn't back down. "You brought a war on us. It wouldn't involve us if you weren't mated to the King."

"The first attack of this war was the Calico Beach attack, Stephanie. Over twenty wolves were killed by hunters." I replied. "The hunters broke the treaty and have teamed up with rogues- I'm pretty sure you would have had a war anyway."