Three|| Castle

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I ground out, and he took a few steps closer to me. Off instinct I backed away, and he immediately stopped.

“Should we give them privacy?” Sarah whispered to Sarge.

“No way, this is way too amusing. I need popcorn,” Alpha James replied.

“Shut up James!” I heard Alpha Jemma hiss, and a smack and a yelp followed.

“Please don’t be afraid of me,” Alpha King Tristan implored pleadingly.

“You’re the Alpha King. You want people to fear you,” I stated, unable to look away from his eyes.

“Not you,” he replied quietly.

“Why not?” I challenged, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Because you’re my mate, luv,” he answered.

“And if I don’t want to be?” 

“Oh, she should not have said that,” Hudson muttered. Alpha King Tristan eyes narrowed, flecks of gold appearing.

“How about you just say thank you?” Alpha James suggested.

“Stay out of this,” Alpha King Tristan and I snapped in unison.

“Yeah, and why should I thank you?” I asked my mate.

“For saving your lives,” he replied. I heard scoffs from my friends.

“Psh, please,” I laughed. “We saved ourselves. And your Alphas, and your stalkerish antics are what gave those hunters our location and the opportunity to shoot in the first place.”

“You’re the one who ran away,” he pointed out.

“Exactly!” I cried. “A clear sign I want nothing to do with you!” I stepped off the porch and realized I was slowly walking closer to him, and he was mirroring my steps. He came closer and his hand reached up, fingers stroking my cheek.

I flinched at his touch, trying to ignore my wolf’s desperation for more. Sparks danced across my skin, a feeling I’d felt only one other time.

This was the man from the field, I soon realized. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t realized it sooner.

“You didn’t know you had a mate,” the Alpha King’s eyes softened, and his posture relaxed more.

“I- what- excuse me?” I stammered, thrown off by my persistent wolf.

“I can read minds, luv. You didn’t know I was your mate,” he repeated, looking slightly amused. He can read minds? What?!

“No, I didn’t know I had a mate back at the hospital, and I didn’t know who it was.” I admitted, remaining stubborn. “But I don’t have time for a mate, Your Majesty.”

“Don’t call me that,” The Alpha King said sharply, and my eyes widened in fear, an automatic reaction to his tone. “It’s too formal. Call me Tristan.”

“Ariel, we have to go. You know what will happen if we go with them,” Sarge called to me. He’s right, I thought, frowning. It will only make things worse. This changes nothing.

“What? No!” Tristan exclaimed. “Come with me, I can keep you all safe,” he said strongly, his grip on me tightening.

“There’s nothing you can do to protect us. Your window of opportunity closed years ago,” Isabella announced. “None of you are strong enough anymore.”