Thirteen|| Ghosts

||Ariel’s P.O.V||

I woke up late that night noticing that the bed beside me was still empty. I rolled over and checked my phone. There was one message from Tristan

From: Tristan: I’ll be back at Haven tomorrow afternoon. 

It was such a guy text, nothing about our argument, short and crisp.

I rolled over onto my side, hugging underneath my pillow with one arm. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes. Despite it all, I’d hoped that he’d come back and we could talk.

I tossed and turned restlessly for about fifteen minutes before letting out an irritated huff and rolling out of bed. I changed into tennis shoes and workout clothes, slipping silently down the hall down to the gym.

I found Summer sitting on the bench in the shadows, looking at her phone. Her straight raven strands were in a messy bun, and she was in leggings and a tank top.

“Can’t sleep?” I asked, and she looked up with surprise. I must have startled her, coming out from nowhere.

“Nope. Alpha Hudson worked it out with the Headmaster so I didn’t have to worry about my work, but school isn’t the only thing I left behind.” she said, handing me her phone.

“Who is that?” I asked, seeing the brunette girl on her lockscreen. The girl was probably a freshman or sophomore in high school, and she was smiling at the camera with a child-like innocence.

“My cousin, Georgie. She’s like a little sister to me. She’s still in high school, and she lives on the pack grounds with my Uncle Jacob.” Summer smiled wistfully at the screen.

“Your parents?” I asked, and she sighed. I knew the answer but I wanted to hear it from her mouth, not read it off a profile.

“My Dad is dead and my Mom walked away a few years ago. She might’ve killed herself by now, I wouldn’t hear about it for a while. Losing my Dad caused her to… resent me, I think.” she looked at me with saddened eyes, and I placed my hand on her shoulder. "The Mom I knew is dead, I feel better thinking she's in a better place."

“How did your Dad die?” I asked.

“Another wolf killed him. A wolf from the Ice Pack. He died three years ago, S.I.D is still looking into it.” she answered. “I moved in with my Uncle and my cousin, Georgie’s Mom- my Aunt- died with my Dad.” 

“I’m sorry.” I said softly.

“I just want to help people, like they did. That’s why I’m here- Alpha Hudson and Jess said you needed my help.” she looked at me with wide eyes, questions swirling in her brown orbs.

“We’ll get to that tomorrow. Don’t worry about it. You’re not a prisoner here. You’re our guest- you can leave any time you want. Although I do suggest you take some protection with you. This coming war makes no one safe." I frowned at the ground.

"What's it like?" She asked me, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. "Having a mate?"

"It has it's ups and downs," I said slowly. During this stressed time with Tristan I was the wrong person to ask. "In the end it can be either the best or worst thing for you."

"Where is your mate? Tristan?" I shrugged.

"Taking care of business."

"Are you okay?" Summer's eyebrows furrowed, and her eyes were examining my face.

"I will be, once this war is over." I said, and Summer nodded in understanding.

"I haven't been able to rest since the hunters started up again." She admitted. "I was one of the victims of the Calico Beach attack."