Pointless?

He scooped out his eyes with little more than a quiet...grunting, which initiated more discomfort than if he'd been screaming. A small tool was used, not fashioned for this purpose, but adequately able to do so. It was not an untidy job, but a simple thing. He shed nothing but a few tears colored black as his sockets were exposed. Reaching from his position on the floor, he stretched out his hand and placed the two orbs upon the altar. Not ugly, displeasing and disharmonious to the stomach, no, the eyes lay simply. There was no mess, save for the tear stains and their careless trail down the now gaunt face of the man.

     "Peace. At last." he sighed into the room. Finally, he had peace. Finally, he could live without witness to the disturbance and evil that surrounded him every day. Now that he had submitted his vision and sacrificed the windows through which climbed all manner of disturbance, he had peace. He had rest.

     And then those fantasies and disturbing things began to playback in his mind. All the horrors of life he had so diligently worked to avoid began to plague him from within and he felt that he couldn't leave his sin and so...so he sat. With much to vivid colors and sounds he stood mentally astounded as it all flooded over him, not once slowing down. The blind could still see, and so much he saw that he felt that he may drown. He sat with weeping face on the dirty ground.

     "The discipline, it never ceases" his cinched lips sputtered. "I may never be allowed to stop guarding myself."