Chapter 40

Crushes and Conversations

"What did you need to talk to me about?" Hailey turned, facing Marlene.

"I think I'm in love." Marlene blurted out. Hailey paused.

"Really? With who?"

"Edgar Bones. We went on a few dates last year, and we talked all summer. The thing is, he knows how I am, so I don't think he's interested in a real relationship. I don't know what to do."

Hailey blinked.

"That's a lot. Have you brought up your...reputation with him?" Hailey asked. Marlene shook her head.

"We don't really talk about stuff like that. I just don't know how to approach the topic of a real relationship."

"Well, you could always just say it bluntly."

"How?" Marlene asked desperately.

"Just say something like 'Edgar, I really like you, and I don't want to just be talking and possibly snogging.'" Hailey looked to Marlene for confirmation, who nodded. "'I want a real relationship.' It's not too hard."

"You didn't even talk to James about getting in a relationship. I did it for you."

Hailey gasped.

"What if I talk to Edgar? I do owe you for that one, and I wouldn't make it obvious, unless you wanted me to of course."

Marlene considered the offer.

"Would you really do that?"

Hailey nodded.

"For sure. I can tell you really like him, otherwise you wouldn't have even considered letting me talk to them."

Marlene shrugged.

"That's fair. And thank you, Hailey."

Hailey nodded.

"I actually have some kind of bad news. I think you're going to be in this dorm alone for a lot of the year."

Marlene nodded.

"I figured when Lily told me she was Head Girl. I really don't mind. I'm honestly kind of excited to have my own dorm for the first time."

Hailey smiled.

"I also think Sean is moving back into the boys' dorm this year. He decided to 'take a break from girls' or something. I just think he got dumped for the first time and couldn't deal with it."

Marlene snorted.

"That was me."

Hailey gaped at her.

"No! Really?"

Marlene nodded, looking highly amused.

"He was nice, but he wasn't really long-term relationship type. I guess I just ended it before he seriously considered it. We both knew it wasn't a forever deal."

Hailey shrugged.

"He'll survive. I'm glad you're not beating yourself up over that one."

Marlene laughed.

"I never beat myself up over a breakup."

~~~~~~~

"Hey, Edgar?" Hailey approached the Hufflepuff table. Edgar looked up.

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk to you privately for a second?"

Edgar nodded and followed Hailey out of the hall.