Chapter 22

Broken bones

Hailey sighed and threw her bag on James's bed. It had been a long day of classes, and she was ready to sleep. Sirius and James were at quidditch practice, and Remus was watching Sirius, so the dorm was empty. She lied down on James's bed and picked up her new favorite book, The Picture of Dorian Gray. Remus had suggested it to her over the summer, and she had just gotten to reading it. So far, she loved it and could usually be found curled up in a ball reading it.

She settled down and relaxed against James's bed, comforted by his familiar scent enveloping her. She read until her eyes got heavy and she drifted off.

~~~~~~~

"I don't know, maybe. I don't think it's serious."

Hailey's eyes fluttered open to find Remus, Sirius, and James huddled at the end of Remus's bed. Their backs were turned away from her, and they were all focused on something Hailey couldn't see.

"What's not serious?"

James turned around quickly. Hailey noticed he was hiding his left hand from her.

"Oh, you're awake. We're all good. Right boys?" James looked at Remus and Sirius who nodded to James, but shook their heads at Hailey when James turned back to her.

"What's wrong with your hand?" Hailey tried to look at his hand that was behind his back. James stuttered.

"I had a little accident, I don't think it's really a problem, but Remus and Sirius don't agree."

"He broke his arm." Sirius rolled his eyes.

"You what?"

"I told you she wasn't going to like it." James turned back to Hailey. "I don't really think it's broken if we're being honest here."

"Why don't we just drop by the hospital wing and check it, just in case?" Hailey grabbed James's uninjured hand and led him to the door. "We'll see you boys later." She waved to Sirius and Remus, who waved back.

"How did you do it? Was it epic, or do we need to make up a cool story?"

James rolled his eyes and smirked.

"It was kind of badass."

"Tell me more. Shouldn't I know how manly my boyfriend is?"

"The bludger was going to hit Sirius in the head, and he wasn't paying attention, so I hit it out of the way, possibly breaking my arm in the process. It was going really fast though, it definitely would have given Sirius a concussion."

"How very heroic. I'm glad I'm dating a knight in shining armor, even if he just saves his mates from bludgers." Hailey kissed James's jaw and opened the hospital wing door. Madame Pomfrey rushed over.

"What's the problem, my dears?"

"We think this idiot broke his arm." Hailey gestured towards James, who looked offended. Madame Pomfrey pursed her lips.

"Let me have a look, then." She led James over to a bed and sat him down. Hailey followed and sat in the chair next to the bed.

"Oh dear, it is broken, and shattered as well. I'd like you to stay the night in here if you don't mind. Tomorrow is a Saturday, so it shouldn't interrupt you school schedule."

James nodded.

"Let me go get the potions you need." She bustled off. Hailey smirked at James.

"Staying the night in the hospital wing. Feeling badass now?"

"Shut up Hailey." James blushed slightly as Hailey laughed. Madame Pomfrey came back with a tray full of potions. She turned to Hailey.