Chapter 38

Goodbyes

"Surprise!" Lily and Marlene popped up from behind Hailey's bed. Mary jumped, then smiled and ran to hug them.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"You think she'd be happy to see us." Marlene said to Lily.

"I am, I'm so happy that you guys were all here, but you said it wasn't going to work out!"

Lily shrugged.

"We wanted to surprise you. We figured we would make tonight as memorable as possible."

Mary hugged them all again.

"Thank you guys, I really appreciate it."

"Now, who's ready to party?" Hailey asked. The girls cheered.

"So, I have a few options. We can't do too many crazy things until it's dark, so I have firewhiskey and butterbeer so we're buzzed later." She held up the bottles. Marlene immediately took a bottle of firewhiskey.

"I'm seventeen now! I'm allowed to." She defended, seeing the look on Lily's face.

"Alright! Let's play some games, then we can go out. I passed my apparation test, and I know you guys have too, so we can go anywhere we want. My parents already know, so we don't have to be worried about getting in trouble."

The girls nodded and Hailey pulled out a deck of cards.

~~~~~~~

Hailey sniffled as she hugged Mary.

"I don't want it to be over. We still had another year."

Marlene joined the hug, her eyes misting.

"We're going to miss you, Mary."

Mary waved Lily over, inviting her to join the hug. Almost immediately, Lily joined in, squeezing the group tightly.

"I don't know what we're going to do without you, Mary."

"I just want to hear that James and Hailey are engaged after you guys graduate."

Marlene nodded, sniffling.

"I can make that happen."

Mary laughed and hugged them all again. Her parents waited patiently a few feet away. When she pulled away, she looked at Lily.

"I want updates on you and Regulus. You two need to get engaged too. I want lots of weddings to come to and babies to watch."

Lily laughed and nodded, wiping her tears away.

"I promise I'll think about it."

Mary gave them one last hug and walked over to her parents. With one last look, she disapparated. Lily cried into Hailey's shoulder. Marlene hugged both of them.

"She'll be okay."

Lily nodded.

"I know. I don't know if I will, though."

Hailey sniffled and led the girls inside.

"I think it'd be best if we focus on all of the fun things we got to do with Mary, instead of be sad right now."

"Remember when we went skinny dipping in the Black Lake because of that game of truth or dare?"

Marlene nodded.

"Mary was too scared to do it alone, so we all did it."

"It was freezing, I caught a cold from doing that." Lily said fondly.