Chapter 20

Rayne and Layla stared at each other, tears of horror staining their cheeks as they sat bound in the back of the car. The silver duct tape covering their mouths prevented them from screaming, and the same at their wrists and feet to keep them from escaping nearly was suffocating.

Her bright green eyes stared across the dimness of the vehicle as it sped away from downtown Seattle, trying to console her best friend. She wished she'd told Layla about everything. The poor girl had no clue what was going on or why it was happening. For all she knew, they were the victims of a random kidnapping.

But Rayne knew better. She immediately recognized the blonde-haired vampire as Christophe, and although she'd never seen the other, he oddly reminded her of the one from the hotel.

Her black-haired friend sobbed and squeezed her eyes shut as if she were trying to wake up from a nightmare.

"I'm sorry," Rayne mumbled inaudibly against the tape. "I should have told you."

Layla shook her head and continued to pull against her restraints.

"Hey! Cut it out back there!" the large vampire barked.

The girls jumped at his command and immediately stilled.

Every possible scenario was running through Rayne's head. Would they kill them both? Would they be tortured? Would Camden come for them? Of course he will. She tried to reassure herself.

She closed her eyes and began to pray to whoever was listening that they would make it through this. How had she even let it happen? How had Camden let this happen? One moment, they were laughing over clothes, the next, both of them were grabbed from behind, their mouths covered, and dragged from the department store at incredible speeds.

It was all so surreal, and fear twisted her gut.

Christophe never said a word the entire ride, only stared straight ahead and refused to have any interaction the with two other than their restraints. He wasn't a fan of forcing others against their will, no matter the cause. He only did it because he had to. There was no other choice.

Pulling the vehicle into the driveway of an old, abandoned house on the outskirts of town, he killed the engine and exited the car. He and his companion flipped the seats forward and pulled the hostages from the back, Layla kicking and screaming with everything she had.

Rayne didn't bother. She knew they could crush the both of them in an instant if they wanted. She cut a sideways glance to her best friend and tried to calm her, shaking her head and encouraging her to stop.

But she didn't. It only served to invigorate her efforts.

Christophe and Ed brought them inside the dirty-smelling building, with grass and weeds growing from between the cracks in the wooden floor. It looked as though it was going to fall in around them at any moment, the boards creaking and cracking with each step.

"Hey Ed, is that you?" An unfamiliar voice came from somewhere in the back of the house.

Ed pushed Layla down into a wooden chair that looked just as decrepit as the rest of the house, and Rayne expected it to collapse under her weight. Surprisingly, it held. Layla stumbled, trying to catch herself from falling out of it.

"Yeah it's us," the large vampire called back, almost frustrated. "What the hell are you two doing here?" he asked as he stepped through an open doorway and into what Rayne assumed was the kitchen.

"Boss thought you two would need help."

Ed scoffed. "The hell we do! We brought her and an extra back, no problem."