Chapter 11

The morning sun drifted through the sheer window treatments and laid a warm kiss on Rayne's cheek. Her eyes fluttered open and slowly took in the foreign bedroom. As much as she liked it, she still missed her own bed. Lazily sitting up, she rubbed her face and pushed her long hair out of the way. She glanced around the room, allowing her eyes time to adjust to the brightness.

What time is it?

She turned to the clock on the nightstand and was shocked to see it was nearly ten AM. She couldn't believe it. She hadn't slept that late, or that well, for the matter, in quite a while! Was it because the nightmare hadn't come to her last night?

What had changed to make her feel better? Was it the extra security of the house? The comfort of knowing a little more of the truth and being a little less confused? Or could it be that Camden was close by, and she, without a doubt, trusted him to protect her?

At that moment, she didn't really care. She was enjoying the well-rested feeling and thinking how much she could enjoy getting used to it. Pushing the covers back, she swung her legs over the edge of the bed and stretched. The first thing that entered her mind was the magnificent bathroom connected to her room.

The night before, Rayne had come back to her room, afraid that she was on the verge of crying and the last thing she wanted was for Camden to see her that way. The sudden, overwhelming knowledge of how her grandfather had lived the last twenty years was the final straw that toppled her ever-growing pile of emotional turmoil. She had decided that it would do her some good to shower.

When she'd walked into the adjoining room, the sight had nearly taken her breath away. Sand-colored granite and ceramic tile were everywhere, including the monstrous, walk-in shower. It sported multiple showerheads and was complete with a digital keypad to control the water pressure and temperature. A large porcelain tub sat in the corner, with windows on each side and long cream drapes at the edges.

After discovering the Taj Mahal of bathrooms, she no longer had been in the mood to shower. However, now, well-rested and calm, she most definitely was.

Grabbing some clothes from the dresser, she entered her idea of Heaven and took her sweet, precious time pampering herself. It was some time later before she emerged clean, fresh, and relaxed. She hadn't realized how much she had needed a little time to herself.

Just as she crossed the room, her phone on the nightstand lit up, signaling a new text message. "Camden" flashed across the screen.

That's funny...I don't remember putting his number in my phone. She shrugged off the thought and grabbed the device.

"I have a limited supply of treated blood left. I'll be spending my days in my room away from the sun until we have a solid lead."

Before she could reply, another message came through.

"You have free reign of the house, but please don't go outside. If you need anything or just get bored, feel free to stop by my room. I don't sleep. Last room past the study."

Rayne couldn't fight the goofy grin that plastered itself to her face as she tapped out a reply.

"Ok. Going to raid your kitchen. I may drop by, but don't count on it. Your house is huge and there is far too much to get into." She ended the message with a smiley face and sent it. She reread the message and immediately regretted sending it.

Did I just flirt with him?!

What was she thinking? This was not the time or the place to be searching out potential love interests, most certainly not of the vampire type!