Chapter 1

Jay's life had been perfect after the human and mutant tension had settled down, and though he couldn't remember that time and the battle that led to the peace nine years ago he could tell there was a lighter atmosphere. Currently he was watching TV with his friends Angeni, the daughter of Storm and Kurt Wagner, and one of the many new mutants who showed up, Ashling. They had both come over to celebrate his ninth birthday with him but came early.

            "Hey turn that off your cousin will be here in a few minutes." Alex spoke up as he walked into the room.

            Jay made a sound of protest. "But we'll miss the best part! Five more minutes at least."

            Alex looked down at his son before letting out a sigh of defeat. "Fine, but after that you're all going to come outside for the party and actually enjoy playing outside."

            "Don't worry we will!" Angeni said grinning.

            Jay's father nodded and left to help his mom finish while he went back to watching the TV show with his friends. Ashling moved closer to him so she could whisper in his ear. "So what's going on?"

            Jay turned to look into her beautiful purple and glowing pink colored eyes before replying jokingly. "You're blind not deaf you can hear what's happening."

            "Yeah but I can't tell what their doing all the time." She pointed out. "And I can see... just not the same way."

            "Hey quiet!" Angeni hushed them. "The good parts coming up!"

            They all went silent and eagerly watched as the hero on the show confronted the villains, outnumbered and with their weapon, powerless, he would have to defeat him. Throughout the season their favorite hero had to fight off a lot of tough opponents but this would be the biggest challenge yet; it had to be considering it was the last episode in the season. Jay let out a laugh as they exchanged insults as they fought before the hero was losing the upper hand and taken down with a blade at his throat. The hero smirked and seemed to think of a way to defeat them but right before they could see what happened next the TV turned off.

            "No!" They shouted in unison.

            "Oh please, that show is so stupid." Pharzuph laughed as he dropped the remote.

            "Coming from the guy who's a year younger than me." Jay retorted.

            "Your parents sent me to tell you it's time to go outside." He shrugged. "I was only listening to them."

            "Of course you were." Ashling replied as she looked into his red glowing eyes. "Come on let's go eat some cake and ice cream!"

            Jay and Angeni laughed at her excitement and quickly got up and ran after her, Jay couldn't understand how she did it, with her powers to only see in heat signatures that meant she couldn't see most things that weren't living and breathing but somehow when it came to food or anything she was excited to get to she could almost move around as if she really could see. Angeni of course cheated in their unofficial race outside by teleporting, leaving a temporary flash of lightning and cloud of light red violet smoke that disappeared into thin air a few seconds later.

            "Uncle Scott, Aunt Jean, you're here!" Jay ran over to them quickly, he wouldn't admit it to anyone but he liked to see them more than he did their son. He didn't understand why, Pharzuph never did anything to hurt him but between his glowing red eyes, which are harmless unless you count using them to see in the dark, and his telekinesis, he was actually quite charming towards people. "Although I guess some people he could be a little less charming to." Jay glanced at where his cousin was talking to Ashling with a smug look on his face before walking with his aunt and uncle to join the others again.

            "So what do you want to do first guys?" Paiton asked. "Food or presents?"

            "Food!" Jay replied quickly.

            The adults laughed at his outburst and he followed his friends over to the table to eat, Jay mad sure he sat beside Ashling but unfortunately Parzuph sat on her other side, which he knew was only meant to make him mad. Jay sighed and pretended to act unfazed by turning to talk with Angeni instead until their cake and ice cream was brought out. Then another thing happened that embarrassed Jay and made him with he could turn invisible like some mutants; they sang happy birthday to him. Once they were done Jay blew out the candles and his dad started passing out the food to everyone, if anyone could see them right now and didn't look too closely at Pharzuph's eyes or Angeni's skin they would almost seem like a normal get together of people celebrating.

            "Your face is so red right now!" Angeni giggled, which only made Jay turn an even redder shade.

            "I just don't like to be the center of attention." He mumbled before taking a bite of chocolate cake.

            They all ate quickly and of course got seconds before Scott handed him his first present, opening it he found a new video game for his system, his parents handed him their gift next, which when opened, revealed special training gloves designed to increase his ice powers. Next Angeni practically shoved her gift in his face while demanding that he open it, Jay took it and took out a box that contained a remote control helicopter. He thanked her before taking Ashling's gift and opening it to find a small photo album that had pictures of them playing and training together.

            Ashling looked down with a light blush on her cheeks. "I know it's probably not what you wanted..."

            Jay smiled as he looked at the cover picture before turning to her. "No, I love it, thank you."

            "No problem." Ashling shrugged as she relaxed. "Angeni helped me make it."

            Pharzuph cleared his throat. "Hey want to go play capture the flag? Your mom set it up for us."

            "Okay." Jay agreed. "Boys against girls?"

            "Your on!" Angeni shouted and jumped up from her seat, dragging Ashling behind her.

            "Come on before they can choose the best spot!" Pharzuph commanded Jay before running off after the girls.

            Jay didn't hesitate to follow and he heard his family laughing fondly at them as they ran off. Nothing could ruin this day for him, everything was perfect, his friends were here along with his family, though Pharzuph could be annoying at times, but Jay wouldn't trade this day for the world. Little did he realize though that his perfect day would be ending, slowly time was running out for all of them and the peace between humans and mutants was being broken right at that moment.