Chapter 4 - "The vow..."

Start from the beginning

"Sorry Mr Manik, she can't meet you right now."

Her words make me clench my jaws. She is still avoiding me. But how long?

"Ms Nandini Murthy...you shouldn't have tested my patience like this. I want to talk to you and I will."

I put the receiver down with a thud and open my mail page to write a mail to our CEO.

"Let's see..how will you avoid this?"

I say with my famous smirk.

.....................................................

I am meandering in my cabin with a restless mind. There are lots of works to do but damn...I am not being able to concentrate. His touch, his smell, his proximity is spiralling in my mind even if I am trying a lot to shun the thought. To divert my mind I ping Samantha and ask her about Bhai. Damn..he hasn't had his lunch yet just like me. I throw the phone to the sofa in frustration. Just then, the intercom starts beeping in order to vex me more.

"Yeah, Natasha..."

I try to control my exasperated tone. But her words put me in the fire again.

"Tell him I am busy...can't meet right now."

I spurt out and put the receiver down.

"Why does he want to meet me? Doesn't he have enough drama? Perhaps he wants to apologise for his mistake."

My ever teaser inner Goddess answers.

"Mistake?...was it a mere mistake for him? Then what was that feeling that I felt when he was smooching me?" Your lust..of course. He is hot and you were starved."

She again opines.

"Shut up... it was not lust...at least not from my side."

I try to counter.

"Then love...at first sight."

She opines again.

"No way...I don't believe in love at first sight. Even more, I don't believe in love. This love destroyed my brother. Now it can't trap me."

I try to convince myself.

"Then talk to him and clear it"

My talkative mind suggests.

"I can't...he makes me weak and I don't want to be weak in front of him."

I wobble to wave away the thought.

"And you are saying it is not love..."

My inner Goddess never misses a chance to tease me. Suddenly my mailbox pings. I sit on my chair to open it.

ELYSIAN

1xxx A Bandra

Mumbai

Dear Ma'am

CEO ELYSIAN

Please accept this letter as my resignation from my position..........

I don't read the other lines but stick my eyes on the name below the letter.

Sincerely,

Manik Malhotra.

"Natasha, send Mr Malhotra in my cabin.. right now."

My blood is boiling at the moment. What does he think of himself? I press my temples to control my uprearing anger.

..............................................

"May I know, what is the reason behind this abrupt decision?"

Ms Nandini confused Murthy turns her laptop at me.

"It was not abrupt rather I thought about it over and over and after that only I made the decision."

I calmly reply because I know how to irritate her. I smile in my mind.

"Ohh...But may I know the reason?"

Her voice is stern.

"YOU.."

I reciprocate with same stony tone. She frowns to grok my words.

"I can't work in such a place where my boss doesn't have time for me."

My words just increase the anger in her eyes. But Ms Nandini Murthy, I haven't finished yet.

"You also have a valid reason to accept my resignation. I kissed you...you can fire me unless it also affected you in the same way it did to me."

I look through her mysterious doe eyes. She immediately shifts hers.

"I didn't understand what are you talking about? I can't even remember such an incident. Nothing happened at all which can affect me in any way."

She is trying her best to hide her emotion. But she doesn't know Manik Malhotra.

"Then it is easier to let me go. Nothing happened at all...so nothing will happen after my exit."

Now it is my turn to play with words.

"I can't...we have some immediate client demands and I committed them on the basis of your work experience."

She finds out a superb excuse. I smile at her immaturity.

"What a lame excuse to keep me close! Why don't you accept that I affect you? You don't want me to leave because you like me. You started feeling for me since we met. Your body reacts when I touch you. Can you deny all these?"

I didn't notice when I get up from my seat and come near to her. She leaps up from her chair and pushes me in frustration.

"Yesss....I don't feel anything for you. The kiss was a mistake which I want to forget. I don't like you...rather I don't like to have any man in my life. Because I don't trust the word 'love'."

She vents out while I am only observing her.

"I didn't mention the word 'love'. But it's good that you confessed at last. Maybe your conscience is not allowing you admitting it right now but I promise..very soon you will confess your love for me."

I say confidently and leave her cabin with hope.

Author's note: The lines in bold and Italic are the thoughts of the respective characters. Plz do inline comments.🙏🙏🙏♥️♥️♥️