f o r t y f i v e

Melissa's POV

"You and Kylan can have this room" Troy said opening the doors to an enormous guest bedroom

"You and Kylan can have this room" Troy said opening the doors to an enormous guest bedroom. It was decorated in neutral tones that complimented the modern theme. Against the wall was a King sized bed and beside it was a crib with a few toys in it. I turned and looked at Troy with a smile trying to keep from getting emotional. "You got him a crib?" I asked. Troy chuckled and nodded his head.

"Of course. Little man sleeps in one of those right?" he asked with a quizzical expression on his face. "Thank you" I said and pulled him into a hug. We pulled back and stared at one another. That same electric pulse that coursed through my spine the first time I met him occurred at that very moment. His eyes dropped to my lips as did mine. We both involuntarily leaned in just barely grazed the surface of our lips, Kylan dropped his bottle causing a semi-loud thud on the ground. I stopped and walked over to him. "Here you go big boy" I said picking up the bottle and giving it back to Kylan who sat in his car seat.

Troy coughed a little and I turned to look back at him. We didn't say anything but we both knew what the other was thinking. "Umm, how 'bout I take lil man and you get settled in?" he offered while extending his hands toward Kylan. Kylan giggled and reached out to Troy. I was a bit stunned because Kylan barely lets anyone hold him beside me, James, or Nicki. "Thanks" I said as I watched Troy carefully take my son out of his car seat and begin tickling his stomach. Ky threw his head back in laughter while kicking his little legs. He seemed to really like Troy.

I sighed and sat down on the bed. Thinking back to what just happened, I was beginning to think that if it was the right decision to move in here. My mind wandered back to James and I could feel myself becoming depressed just thinking about him. I love James but I don't think I can do it anymore. I tried to be the supportive fiancée and help him get through his struggles but there is only so much I can take. No one is worth your sanity and safety. My son doesn't need to grow up thinking that putting your hands on woman and verbally abusing them is ok. I will literally whoop Kylan's ass myself if he ever raised his hand to a woman.

Kylan deserves a healthy father and right now, James isn't that. He's back on that shit again and I refuse to let my son be around that. Sighing, I got up from the bed and began unpacking our stuff then placing them in the mid-sized walk in closet. I also placed out toiletries in the on-suite bathroom to set up for the bath I was going to give Kylan tonight.

I felt my phone buzzing in my jeans and I reached to dig it out of my back pocket. Geneva's name popped up on my screen; she was trying to facetime me. My heart began to race thinking about whether I should answer the phone with my face looking like this. Finally deciding to answer, I slid my finger across my screen and her face appeared. "Melissa, sweetie. Are you there?" she asked. I had the phone tilted upwards towards the ceiling. Slowly I tilted the phone back on my face. Her smile was quickly decimated into a frown.

"What happened to your face?" she asked as her eyebrows contorted with concern. I could feel myself starting to get chocked up, but I manage to swallow back the tears. "James hit me" I spoke plainly. Her eyes widened and her hand clasped over her mouth. "Oh sweetie" she said with a look of pity on her face. We sat in silence for a few seconds. She looked like she was pondering the situation. I'm sure this is probably a shock for her just as it was for me. Until, she completely caught me off guard. "Well, what did you do to make him so angry?" she asked. I waited to answer to see if she was actually serious. "You had to have done something. James would never raise a hand to a woman unless she forced him to do so. I know you got a slick ass mouth" she scoffed.