Chapter 16: The Southern Girl

Most plain girls are virtuous because of the scarcity of opportunity to be otherwise.

-Maya Angelou

Willow Kinsella's POV

"Welcome to Ragusa, Willow. Nice to see you again."

I only managed to awkwardly mutter. "Hi. How did you know I finally arrive?"

Laila smiled at me kindly. "Oh, an old friend came to visit and I just see her out when I heard another incoming car."

"Oh..."

"Please come inside." An elegantly dressed Laila step aside to accommodate me inside their intimidating home. As I expected the interior of the palace was as grand as the outside with high ceilings huge chandeliers and walls painted with white and gold detailing and then there's the grand double staircase connecting to the second floor.

Jesus, where am I?

I think my whole house could fit in inside this palace. And then I notice that a maid was already holding my luggage in her hand I tried to stop her. "Oh, thank you but I can carry my own luggage."

"Nonsense," Laila answered with a smile. She looked at the maid beside us. "Please, take her luggage to her room." The maid nodded and started to ascend to the staircase and then the woman beside spoke again. "I hope you will like the room we prepare for you."

I just managed to nod. "Any room will be fine."

"Come," she invited friendly, hooking her arms around mine as she led me to the grand staircase. "I hope you are not tired yet from your flight but I would like to introduce my twin first before showing your room."

I nodded again as I force my legs to carry me even further inside their imposing home. Never in my wildest dream have I expected that they are living literally inside a palace. Laila led me to a series of corridors on the second floor I have to remember where exactly we're turning or I will be lost in here.

I have the chance to study the painting and portraits hangs on the wall with gilded frames. These stern-looking people on these oil paintings were probably their ancestors given the striking green eyes.

Finally, we arrived at our destination when Laila knock at the heavy wooden door at the far end of the hallway before opening it.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I followed her inside and then I realize that this was their family library! Goodness, this library was way better than our community college library in our town. Look at those collections of first edition books.

Then I realized that the mirror image of Laila staring at me with amusement in her dark green eyes while a stern-looking grey-haired man was sitting on the mahogany study table near the bookshelves. That must be Cesare Fiorenza, I guess.

"Leila. Patri." Laila performed the introduction while collective green eyes were directed to me. "I'd like you to meet Willow Kinsella. Willow, this is my sister, Leila, and my father, Cesare."

Before I could even speak the woman named Leila to march towards us and surprised me when she envelop me with a bone-cracking hug. "I wanted to meet you so badly since Laila told me about you, Willow. Thank goodness you are finally here."

I gave a shaky laugh unsure how to answer her but it feels nice to see that's she's so welcoming. While her twin was more reserved and demure no one could deny that she's the rebel one the darling of the tabloids.

She drew back from our hug and look at me from head to toe. She grinned when she noticed my outfit. "Look at you, a very southern girl. I like your fashion choices."