Chapter 2: The New Guy

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

-Abraham Lincoln

Willow Kinsella's POV

I drove to town to get some supplies for the ranch and to be away from Neon after my humiliating encounter with him a while ago. I couldn't help the blush that spread through my cheeks whenever I remember my assumption that he wants to kiss me.

"That's really embarrassing, Albert," I informed my dog who was with me sitting comfortably at the passenger's seat. My fur buddy just looks at me with innocent eyes. "I wish the ground would open up moments ago to swallow me whole."

I also couldn't miss the teasing in his eyes when I gave him my dad's old stuff for him to use while he was staying with us. I would also buy him some clothes at the thrift shop in town I just need to squeeze that in my already tight budget.

Thirty minutes later, I finally arrive in town. I parked my car in front of the hardware shop of Mr. Lufton. I jumped out of my pick-up truck and open the door for Albert. "Come on, buddy. We need to get some woods for the fence."

"Good morning, Mr. Lufton!" I greeted cheerfully when I push his glass door when the bell hangs on the door chimed in.

"Willow!" The elderly man behind the counter greeted with a welcoming smile. "What can I have you for today?"

I walked further inside his hardware store and stop at the counter. "I need few timbers and concrete nails needs to fix the fence on the east side of the ranch. The cattle kept on coming on the neighboring ranch I can't afford to lose even one cattle these days."

"I understand." Mr. Lufton said gravely. "I'll ask my son to load the timbers on your truck right now."

He left the counter for a moment to instruct his son who was working at the back of the store. Moments later, Mrs. Harris went inside the hardware store.

"Hello, dear." She said by way of greeting.

I smiled at the white-haired woman. "Good morning, Mrs. Harris."

"I heard that you rescue a man in the forest near your ranch a few days ago. How is he, dear?"

I smiled ironically. One of the downsides in living in such a small town of St. Petersburg, North Carolina nothing was a secret from the town's people. Everyone would know everything in a matter of time. No wonder everyone knew that Matthew Graves and I broke up years ago despite trying to keep it a secret from everybody.

"He's doing fine."

There was an interesting look on the older woman's face. "I heard from Dr. Mitchell that he suffered a head injury from his accident. The poor soul, thank goodness he survived such horrific accident."

"Yeah," I agreed, trying not to reveal much about the new guy in town. I bet there was much interest from the town's people about the Neon since gossip was their number one pastime here. Everyone wants to know gossip first hand.

When Mr. Lufton went back to the counter he said. "Already loaded to your truck and here are the concrete nails." He looked at the old woman beside me on the counter. "What can I do for you, Mrs. Harris?"

"How much for these?" I asked.

The elderly man shook his head with a smile. "I will just put it on the tab just pay me when your loan approve."

"Oh, all right." This was what I was talking about when I said that you cannot keep a secret in this little town of ours. One way or the other surely they would hear about your finances and other personal problems. "No, I can pay you now."