10: Laylatul Qadr

One of the distinctive speciality of Ramadhan is the presence of Laylatul Qadr in it.

1. What is Laylatul Qadr?
Allah says,

إِنَّآ أَنزَلۡنَٰهُ فِي لَيۡلَةِ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ. وَمَآ أَدۡرَىٰكَ مَا لَيۡلَةُ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ. لَيۡلَةُ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ خَيۡرٞ مِّنۡ أَلۡفِ شَهۡرٖ. تَنَزَّلُ ٱلۡمَلَٰٓئِكَةُ وَٱلرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذۡنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمۡرٖ .سَلَٰمٌ هِيَ حَتَّىٰ مَطۡلَعِ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ

Indeed, We sent the Qur'an down during the Night of Decree. And what can make you know what is the Night of Decree? The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn.
-Surah Al Qadr, Ayah 1-5

2. Virtues of Laylatul Qadr:
Allah says,

إِنَّآ أَنزَلۡنَٰهُ فِي لَيۡلَةٖ مُّبَٰرَكَةٍۚ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنذِرِينَ. فِيهَا يُفۡرَقُ كُلُّ أَمۡرٍ حَكِيمٍ. أَمۡرٗا مِّنۡ عِندِنَآۚ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُرۡسِلِينَ

Indeed, We sent it [i.e. Quran] down during a blessed night. Indeed, We were to warn [mankind]. On that night is made distinct every precise matter. [Every] matter [proceeding] from Us. Indeed, We were to send [a messenger]
-Surah Ad Dukhan, Ayah 3-5

Laylatul Qadr was the night on which the Qur’an was sent down.

Ibn Abbaas and others said: “Allaah sent down the Qur’aan at one time from al-Lawh al-Mahfooz to Bayt al-‘Izzah in the first heaven, then it was revealed to the Messenger of Allaah SA in stages according to events over twenty-three years.”
(Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/529)

The affairs of that year are also dispatched from al-Lawh al-Mahfooz to the angels who record the decrees: who will live, who will die, what provision people will be given, what will happen until the end of that year, every matter of ordainments is decreed, and it cannot be altered or changed. 
(Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/137-138)

3. When is Laylatul Qadr?

Aisha reported: The Messenger of Allah SA would seek spiritual retreat in the mosque during the last ten nights of Ramadan and he would say, “Search for the Night of Decree during the last ten nights of Ramadan.”

In another narration, the Prophet said, “Search for the Night of Decree in the odd nights among the last ten nights of Ramadan.”
(Saheeh al-Bukhari 1916, Saheeh Muslim 1169)

Abu Qilabah said, “The Night of Decree changes each year during the last ten nights of Ramadan.”
(Sunan al-Tirmidhi 792)

4. What did Prophet SA do in Laylatul Qadr?

Aisha reported: When the last ten days (of Ramadhan) would come, the Prophet SA would spend his night in worship, wake his family (at night), exert himself and tighten his Izaar (waistcloth).
(Saheeh Bukhari 4/269 Saheeh Muslim 1174)

We notice three things here-
•enliven the night (احيا الليل)
•awaken his family (ايقظ اهله)
•tighten his belt (شد الازار)
All these for the sake of devoutly worshipping Allah.

5. What to say in Laylatul Qadr?
Aisha reported: I said, “O Messenger of Allah, if I know which night is the Night of Decree, what should I say during it?” The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Say:
اللَّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنِّي
O Allah, you are pardoning and generous. You love to forgive, so forgive me.
(Sunan al-Tirmidhi 3513, authenticated by Imam An Nawawi)

6. How to recognise Laylatul Qadr?

Ibn Abbas reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said regarding the Night of Decree, “It is a calm night, neither hot nor cold, and the sun arises on it red and feeble.”
(Saheeh Ibn Khuzaymah 2049, authenticated by Shaykh Al Albaani)

7. Reward for Laylatul Qadr:

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah SA said, “Whoever stands in prayer during the Night of Decree due to faith and seeking reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.
(Saheeh Bukhari 1802, Saheeh Muslim 760)

Malik reported: Sa’id ibn al-Musayyib, may Allah be pleased with him, said, “Whoever attends evening prayer on the Night of Decree has taken his share of reward from it.”
Source: al-Muwatta’ 707

Itikaaf:

Aisha reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, would seek spiritual retreat in the mosque during the last ten nights of Ramadan, until Allah Almighty caused him to pass away. His wives continued to perform the retreat after him.
(Saheeh al-Bukhari 1928, Saheeh Muslim 1172)

Al-Shafi’i RA “Whoever intends to follow the example of the Prophet in spiritual retreat during the last then night of Ramadan, he should enter the mosque before the setting of the sun on the twenty first night.”
(al-Majmu’ Sharh al-Muhadhdhab 6/501)

With the knowledge of Laylatul Qadr, now, it's imperative that we try our best to use the last ten days of this month productively.

A joyful ending to a joyful month.
الحمد لله