Presley

"Where does our family find these people?" Nixon asked as I checked Kaylee, who was lying on the floor out cold.

"I think the family enjoys picking up strays," Nathan added as Ma and Pops rolled their eyes.

I tapped Kaylee's cheek with my palm. Her eyes opened, and she screamed, making us yell.

"Now I'm deaf," Nixon mentioned, wiggling his finger in his ear.

I helped Kaylee up and looked at her.

"Sorry, I never met an author," Kaylee apologized.

"I got that when you passed out," I mentioned. "What are you doing here?" I asked curiously.

"Can we talk?" Kaylee asked me.

I looked at Kaylee, and she gave me an innocent look. I grabbed a hoodie and pulled on my shoes, then left the house with Kaylee. I closed the door behind us.

"I like the girl," Ma mentioned, earning a look from everyone.

"Didn't you like Eliza?" Pops asked.

Ma gave Pops a knowing look.

"Yeah, I didn't think so," Pops replied.

Kaylee and I went for a walk so that we could talk.

"So, what did you want to talk about, Kaylee?" I asked curiously.

"I'm sorry about what happened at the station," Kaylee said.

"It's not something I expected. You meet someone thinking that's it and realize you didn't know the person like you thought you did," I explained.

"I don't want to tell you that I understand how you feel because I don't. I had two people in my life who died. All I understand is grief," Kaylee reasoned.

I looked at Kaylee.

"But I do know that it's a process, and you handle it your way," Kaylee explained.

"Yeah, people expect you to grieve and move on. Then you find out the person you mourn cheats on you. It's not the best feeling in the world," I said as we walked.

"How do you feel now? You don't have to tell me, but it might help to talk," Kaylee reasoned.

"Angry, hurt, disappointed," I said, confused with the last word.

"That's a start," Kaylee said.

I looked at Kaylee. Why was it difficult to talk to my family about my feelings, but I had no issue with Kaylee? I hardly knew the girl except as partners.

"I guess the disappointment bothers me the most. I persuaded Eliza of my faithfulness, and it didn't matter," I told Kaylee.

"I think it did, but you shouldn't change yourself to reassure someone. Did you ever lie to Eliza?" Kaylee questioned.

"No," I answered.

"Were you upfront with her?" Kaylee inquired.

"I had a reputation with girls. My Grammy called me a lothario and made me write a paper on why I should change my ways," I answered.

Kaylee giggled, making me chuckle.

"Yeah, I was bad in high school," I mentioned. "I even caused Parker trouble on Valentine's Day."

"Do I want to know?" Kaylee asked me, arching an eyebrow.

"It involved a girl's father catching the girl and me misbehaving," I replied.