Chapter 28 - Explanations

Start from the beginning

The thought of suicide had started to play at the back of his mind for years, but he had never acted on it while sober. Unfortunately, whenever he drank he started turning those sad, repressed thoughts into actual attempts. After his fist episode, when he overdosed on sleeping pills, his parents made him see a therapist. It was hell trying to convince them that he wasn't actually planning to kill himself. It just turned into a drunk habit, and thus was the real reason why he had to give up alcohol.

A knock at the door drew their eyes to Hector and Thomas, both standing politely in the hall. "May we interrupt?" Hector asked.

"Of course, Hector dear." His mother smiled back at him and turned towards Ricky. "Expect surprise visits from now on." She threatened before grabbing her husband by the arm and walking him out.

Hector and Thomas stepped aside, making room for them to leave, then entered followed by Damon.

Damon turned towards David. "We need to have a private conversation."

David stepped away from the man warily, having already been tossed aside by the hulking figure once before. He faced Ricky questioningly, as though checking to see if he'd be okay with the human leaving. Ricky nodded and David left, closing the door behind him. Damon then returned his attention to the injured man.

"First of all, we have some explaining to do."

Ricky frowned up at the men who now stood around the room, arms folded and eyes averted. "About what?"

Damon looked on somberly. "First, what were you doing meeting with those people? They're criminals and I...I don't want to believe that you were doing anything illegal behind our backs."

Ricky sat up straight. "I wasn't, I promise. Those were people I had met years ago and said they could tell me some stuff about Chris's parents. I was hoping to find something I could use against them since they were already going to blackmail me."

"I can't blame you for wanting to do something like that, but you could have gotten hurt! The Mendovas knew everything you were up to Ricky. What if they planned on killing you if you found something incriminating? If I hadn't made Chris tell me everything, you might not have made it home."

Ricky vaguely recalled the events from the parking lot and looked over. "How is Chris?"

Hector cleared his throat while Thomas shuffled his feet, neither wanting to answer. Damon hesitated, but he stepped up. "He's fine. I convinced him to go through with everything."

"...Even the divorce?"

Damon nodded, and Ricky felt relieved. Once he was officially divorced...Wait...Did he want to divorce them? The short lived smile faded as he looked around the room, realizing how close he had gotten to each of them. He didn't want to lose his job, but he also didn't want to lose them either. 

Before Ricky could fret over this, Damon continued talking. "There's more you should know. It's about our relationship with Chris. I think you deserve to know how we ended up together in the first place..."

Interested, Ricky leaned forward as the man explained. "His parents had tricked him into going to a Correctional Facility. They told him it was an overseas trip but really it was a brainwashing program run by an empath named Corey Stutts. I was one of the people who helped shut the place down, and when we found Chris, we took him in and helped him recover. He never mentioned you and only ever talked about how his parents liked to manipulate him. We took pity and eventually grew to love him. But then he started behaving oddly, wanting to get back to his family, begging to be allowed to work again, promising that they weren't bad people. We loved him, so we did whatever we could to make him happy."